The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a chiller but don't know what size to get. Most manufactures rate a 1/3 hp chiller up to about 300 gal and 1/2 hp from 300+. My tank plus sump is around 325 gal. so it's very close. My tank is acrylic, which is better insulated then glass (holds heat :-( ) and the lighting is 3 400 watt mh's and 4 75 watt vho actinics. The present water temp is 80-85 but I want to drop that down to 77-80. What do you all think? 1/3 or 1/2 hp?

So far I really like this 1/3 hp model:
http://www.sevenseasonline.com/chillers.htm
It is the most efficient chiller I've found so far. Anyone have any experience with Arctica chillers?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
I am surprised with the HVAC people on here that no ones rendered an opinion. My guess is the 1/3 would work since you are close, but the max may not properly account for ambient room temps and all that. Whats the duration and peak of your hottest season?

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doug,
Thanks for your reply. Well temps vary quite a bit day to day as well as one summer compared to the next here in Chicago. For example it was 86 yesterday and the high today is supposed to be 72. Sometimes summer has 2-3 weeks in the low in the 90's, sometimes only a few days. Generally the hot season is from mid-June to mid-Sept with temps from 70-90. I have central air in the house and keep the temp at 78.
I have 5 fans in the hood and one in the sump. The tank is in the coolest room in the house but still can peek out at 86 degrees :-( .

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ok, I;ll reply

Have you checked out the Pacific Coast Chillers? they have a 1/6th HP that is really nice. We've sold quite a few of these guys. They have a built in temp controller, no need to worry about where to hang that..and if you go up to the 1/4 HP they have a built in heat exchange.

come visit the site, and take a look. www.underwatercreations.com

Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Arctica web site has a calculator. I'm sure it'll point you to the 1/2 hp. My setup came to 0.44 hp. The sizing you refer to is for FO, not reefs, I think. The MH's really make the difference. Arctica has a 1/2hp chiller, but it only comes in 220V right now. Call JBJLighting directly if you want it. I don't think the onliners will say it's available.
I'm trying to get a 1/3 Arctica on my setup right now, despite the calculator. I have a 180g tank with a 100 gallons in a sump in the basement; 3 250W HQI's.

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after doing a lot of research I ordered a 1/3 hp Arctica chiller. From the opinions I read, they seem to be very quiet and trouble free (so far). They have not been in the U.S. for very long so how reliable they are over the long run is still a ?? My main concerns were efficiency and noise. A 1/3 hp unit used 4.8 amps compared to most other chillers at 7 amps+ I should have it by next week and I will report back after it's hooked up. Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.