The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to get a chiller for my 155 gal. reef , my main concern is for a quit unit [ located in the living room ] as well as effiecent, i'm not sure on the sizing though , from most of my readings i understand the sizing to be bsaed on room temp vs ideal tank temp. if this is the case i'm only looking to bring down my tank temp [ during the summer ] by 5-6 deg. tnak usually runs at 82 to 84 max . but with the summer heat is easily able to creep up to 85 -87 without shutting down the lights early. i'm running a couple of fans which help keep it down but don't want to lose all my sps corals this year .

any ideas on makes and models would be great

tia russ

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am no expert by far but getting ac in the room would be very helpful. I have read alot of post on this forum about this and have done 2 main thing to help my tank stay at the rite temp. First I run fans over the lighting and water area to help with heat removal and I put an ac unit in my dinning room where my tank is located and just doing this helped me keep my water temp stable at 79. I am sure others will help you on this but these are 2 main things I have learned by reading this forum. O and rite now at lowes they have 12,00btu ac units on sale for 250.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've been eyeballing some 1/4hp Via Aqua flow-thru chillers on ebay lately for my 55g reef. They're pretty cheap too compared to other chillers I was considering that were in the $600 (or so) range. I haven't seen anything really regarding these chillers, but they're rated a full 10 degree pulldown on a 125, they'd probably pull down 5 or so on a 155.
All you'd need would be a 100-400gph pump to push water to it (it comes with the tubing) and you're set.
I still haven't made up my mind... I'd like to find out a bit more about them before I take the plunge.

Just as a disclaimer... these auctions aren't mine... I've just been eyeballing them and thought I'd share. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.