The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 3/4 HP Custom SeaLife chiller. It is used and in great shape. But, it doesn't have a housing. I am looking for someone who could make me one. Does anyone know of anyone who is a metal fabricator (I am assuming this is who could make one) and could do this?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I never thought about wood. Most covers I see are metal. I guess that would work. I just want something to protect it from dirt and stuff. It would need to have a vent on it for the fan. And a way to remove the cover in case you need to work on it. I just thought metal when I thought of building a cover for it. Plus I would think the metal would be lighter than the wood. I dunno know.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
You could just make a 5 sided cube and set it on top of the chiller you could use the vented cuboard doors for ventaltion and access all in one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use wood unless it's as a frame for metal flashing (which won't look too pretty, but will get the job done). Wood has insulating properties that might not be too good for something that's a heat exchanger since some of that heat must radiate through the metal cover.

If you can find some stiff commercial HVAC ducting, you could probably fashion one pretty easily.

·
Registered
874 Posts
prolly wouldnt have to be all that stiff either, the chiller should have support areas where the old casing would have sat on, HD sells flashing that you could slap together to make a simple cover. Unless I'm wrong....? lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a aqualogic 3/4 chiller. I built mine out of 3/4 plywood I put a roof vent on the top of it . It has been in use for over 2 yrs now with no issues at all. Just make sure you have a good way of venting the hot air out of the box

1 - 8 of 8 Posts