The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
working on the preliminaries for me new system sump, this is what i am looking at so far in terms of layout and plumbing. looking for some input from the two of you (as i plan on bribing both of you for help). also anyone else who has some input, please let me know what you see that will work, and what will not work.

chewie, if you do not have the kids right after work, i will be home today until about 430 if you want to swing by for a bit.

anyway, thanks in advance!

ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice drawing. I like way it appears that fuge flow will work. It appears you arn't planning to use a protein reactor. I need to redo my sump too so I like to see plans and ideas about how to do it.

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Phil

How are you? Actually if you are refering to a skimmer, he is, it's the cylinder off to the right with a line to the waste collector

Ryan
How about a "manifold" comming off of the return pump? You will need to feed the calcium reactor, and this way one less pump. Just an idea. Thinking of something simple, like using 1" pvc with several "T"s in a line with a ball valve for each one.

Closed Loop? Yea just added another pump, but no PH's in the tank and if you will be considering a anoenome (sp) and sps

You probably know of this the debate whether to skim after the fuge or not.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i would prefer to skim, then fuge, and then have the water travel directly to the tank... steve suggested that i make the entire thing a sump and mount a remote fuge later, in which case i could do a pump fed, gravity return system from above the tank. i have a bookshelf that i can put a fuge on top of, i just need to bolt it to the wall somehow... have a acrylic 20 that would do the job nicely.

at any rate, if you had some time to snap some pictures of your stand and canopy i would love to see them. also i am free from work on sunday, so maybe we can get together and frag the hammer then, and discuss layout for the new system at the same time.

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
20 gal acrylic = 160 lbs just a little stress on the wall but what the heck it's just an apartment :rolleyes:

Will check with the wife on Sunday, but sounds good. Will try to take pictures with new A70 we got - just have to learn how to use it now.

The stand is made of 2x4's but not put together in the usual sense. Used biscuts to assemble the stand, really simple, clean. You'll have to see it.

Think on the type of hood you would want, a lift off top on the hood or a regular hood with doors, or with one big door or no hood at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charles: Thanks for clearing it up for me. I meant to say Protein skimmer. I though what he had in the drawing was a calcium reactor because I thought that the additional waste collector was a CO2 bottle.

Ryan: are you going to use LR on both sides of the sump? what is the extra "L" fitting used for on the inflow pipe to the sump. Are these to hold two filter socks or are you not planning to use any mechanical filtering? I personally like mechanical filtering. I get all kinds of gunk out of my tank. I have a tray in my sump for this. I cut up peices of blanket batting and use in the tray for a cheap throw away filter. It looks just like the stuff you buy at the LFS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts