The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waging a war(and losing) against cyanobacteria until I finally broke down and bought some Chemiclean. It did a really nice job of removing all of the cyano and I now have a nice pretty tank. I have been running GFO in my canister for about a week now. I just started my skimmer back up and changed 20% of the water Sunday. Really, what I want to know is if there are any ill affects that can be expected in the near future as a result from the treatment or is it pretty safe.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
I've used it before with no ill-effects. Make sure you have good surface agitation. the chemi-clean will help but it won't solve your problem. You have to find the root of the cyano. How often do you clean the canister?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just upgraded to the canister from a hob filter about a week ago so I can use media in it. How often should I be cleaning it?

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
Canisters can be good, but you have to clean them at least every other day. I disconnected mine about a year ago, and I don't miss it. How big is your tank?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tank is 28 gallon after all the rock and sand. It's a hexagon so it doesn't have much room under it. Definitely not enough for a sump.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
I have a 55g with no sump, no filter, just a protein skimmer.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a protein skimmer. It's a very cheap one though. I only have about seven pounds of live rock and 35 lbs of base rock.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
The first six months or so your tank will go through alot of changes. Your just in an "ugly" stage right now. This is when you should be getting your maintenance routine down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts