The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LFS is trying to talk me into an awful lot of expensive chemicals to feed my softies. I was under the impression that the trace elements in the IO took care of this just fine with regular water changes. Should I switch to Reef Crystals because it has more supplements? Is there any one (or two) thing(s) I should be adding to my water to improve the health of my softies? xenias, zoas, button polyps:read: :read: :confused: :)

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
nope not really.
yes you are right yoru water changes give you the trace elements back. etch it in you brain , if you add it you need to test for it... this way if they try to get you to buy buy buy you have that to fall back on. the only additive i do is CA and or kalk drip. keeping your ca and alk in the proper area will help them out. as far as food.. if youhave fish and feed them a blender mush ( very easy to make ) then everyone gets food already. if not no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Yep, it's all marketing. :)

If you read one of those bottles, it sounds like you just have to have it -- and they usually recommend a different product of the same brand too, so now you have to have that. ;)

Alk, calc, and magnesium are the big three (magnesium normally not as important as the other two tho) that should be supplemented.

·
11,345 Posts
cobray said:
My LFS is trying to talk me into an awful lot of expensive chemicals to feed my softies. I was under the impression that the trace elements in the IO took care of this just fine with regular water changes. Should I switch to Reef Crystals because it has more supplements? Is there any one (or two) thing(s) I should be adding to my water to improve the health of my softies? xenias, zoas, button polyps:read: :read: :confused: :)
For whatever its worth.....i used to target feed all of my softies religiously at least once a week as well as hit the tank with cyclopleeze a couple of times a week. I stopped and although stopping did identify a few exceptions, the overwhelming majority of my softies are showing incredible growth as well as multiplying more so than ive ever seen just by paying real close attention to my water quality and flow. The exceptions to this are of course my sun polyps, my chili leather and one open brain in particular, all showed signs that they needed target fed. I feed those once every two weeks, and the sun polyps once a week. The rest seem just as happy if not happier without. Ill define the rest. frogspawns, candy canes, leathers, zoas, anchor, hammers, galaxy, anemone, large brains open and closed, many different mushrooms, buttons...prolly more im done thinking too hard..its late. You will probably hear other viewpoints on this but that is just my experience over the last few months since i stopped feeding.

The only things i add as foar as other additives is CA and alk. and i use reef crystals. I just recently discoverd that my magnesium is terribly low however so that will be another I will be adding. Just my $.02

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Yes, CA is calcium but I agree, your basic water changes with fresh RO and salt mix are the best ways to replenish your trace elements. Unfortunately when you start adding things, you have to test for them to not add too much of a good thing, so to speak. Turns in to a big problem. I have mainly softies in my 135-gallon and they do just fine without all the trace things.

Most every good salt mix on the market contains a decent spectrum of trace elements - -

HHC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts