The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about chemical warfare between soft corals and sps and was wondering, what are the worst softies that do this. I ask because I want a mixed tank but would avoid certain softies if they're know to be the worse offenders. I also would like recommendations on how to run carbon in the sump. Right now, I have a bag sitting in a high flow area. Anyone with ideas?

·
11,345 Posts
As far as running carbon, you will have the best results running it through a simple canister filter such as a phosban reactor. I run carbon 1 week out of the month and run phosban the other 3 weeks even though i have no measurable phosphate. (I also have no noticable bad algae;) )

As far as the chemical warfar, if you choose to have a mixed tank i wouldnt limit yourself becasue of that as MANY lps can hurt them, jut be careful in your placement. I WOULD however suggest killing and or removing all of your gsp as it spreads too rampantly and is a PITA and can kill and or damage your corals if your tank is packed enough that youdont notice it encroachiung up on some of your frags.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
Soft corals are the main perpetrator of Chemical Warfare, especially leathers, and especially Sinularia. The kind of warfare that I am talking about is just release of alopathic chemicals that effect all corals sharing the same water. Certainly LPS will almost always kill SPS if they are in reach.

Carbon,... ug, you need the water flowing through it, not around it, canister filter or Phosban reactor works well, but there is a problem with some carbons coming apart.

I would far rater run a good UV, because that is a far more reliable method of removing these chemicals IMHO.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't realize that a UV would remove harmful chemicals. I thought it helped with parasites and diseases? If it does both, then that would be a very useful addition - might have to add that to my wish list. I had been thinking about a UV ever since my clown fish died from brooklynella. Does anyone have a good DIY plan for a canister filter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts