The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now proclaiming my self to be the poster child of the ever wonderful product called CHEMI-CLEAN.

I have been fighting the vilan cyano algae for severl months now. At one time it went away for a few weeks but then it came back worse. My nirates were never a problem. It could be phosphates but now I have a sponge. I dosed this stuff friday night and in 48 hours all cyano is GONE!

My tank is sparkling clean, I just finished the 20% water change and so far I have lost nothing!

But just know I only have LPS corals, a few at that....no SPS....But maybe one of these days I will get some halides and venture into a REAL reef tank. I just can't justify the expense becaue I will be moving out of my apartment in a year I hope. Then its on to bigger and better tanks. Maybe a 125 or a 90 gallon, who knows? Just wanted to let you guys know this stuff really works and it didn't hurt anything, my fish didn't even stress out....

Hope this helps yall

Clay

How long do VHO bulbs last? When I first put them in i would see spots after i looked at them, now they don't even bother my eyes.....I think they are about 6-8 months old

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just make sure u do some good water changes and it will be back in about 3 months.................lol ........that is what mine does

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Clay,

Lisa avoided hers coming back by fixing what caused it. We took some advice from Tom's Algae's Lecture and bought the RO/DI unit and did massive water changes until everything (Nitrates, phosphates) read zero.

Ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
Clay, I also finally broke down and used Chemi-Clean last week. I had been fighting Cyano for about 6 weeks and tried everything to fix it naturally. I lost several corals to the cyano. The chemi-clean seems to have worked very well. I know the cyano may come back, but hopefully this break will give my macro algea and refugium a chance to get a foothold without being choked out by slime.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a horrible cyano problem in my 55 about a year ago. I used ChemiClean, and it worked well. However, about 1-2 weeks after wiping out the cyano, I had some sort of filamentous algae all over every exposed piece of liverock. I don't know if the two were related, but it seemed like one caused the other.
It took a couple of months to get rid of that problem.

Please let me know if you guys have had similar experiences with ChemiClean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts