The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I finaly got my sump in and working. Then I realized that if the power goes out my two tubes going in to the tank would just drain the dang tank well bellow my saftey zone. so NOW I realize that I need a check valve.

Can I get one a HD or lowes or do I have to call around to the LFS to get one???

thanks,

~Randy~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the simplest, and apparantly most used option, is to simply drill a small hole in the top of each return line, just at or below the water level in the tank. if you lose power, and the tank starts to drain, the two holes will begin sucking in air, and it will break the siphon.

i drilled a 1/8" hole in the top of my return. i put my hole right at water level. the very instant i turn off my pump, like during feeding, my return starts sucking air, and the draining stops. literally within 1 second.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
oh, and of course, you should not need to worry abotu the drain lines in the overflow either. whetehr you have internal or external overflow should not matter at all. the water is only goign to drain over the overflow wall, until it reaches the same height as the overflow. then since nothing is pumping in from the sump, the tank stops draining into the overflow. that's why you want your drain opening pretty high in the overflow.

drainage from tank into my sump at a power off (on a 55g tank) is about 2 gallons.

·
Administrator
47,637 Posts
Randy do you have a picture showing how its set up? I agree with Jay that a siphon break hole works well, tho if we see it we can tailor responses to be more specific :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agreed. If you have a pic of the overflow and returns, it would be most helpful.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Check valves will always fail...it may take a while but they will. Just drill the wholes...

-Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts