The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is setting up a 10 gallon tank. He went a couple of days ago and bought some of the expensive "coral liverock" from Pisces for $8.99/pound. He didnt know it at the time, but the piece of LR that he bough is actually some sort of clam. Apparantly the employee didnt know that it was a clam either. My friend has offered to give it to me. Would it be a good idea for me to take this thing? I've never kept a clam before and have no idea as to how to take care of it. Are they pretty easy to care for? Thanks for the info and heres a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
What are those orange things on the left side? I have two clusters of them on my live rock I just got.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Are they like sun polyps? I bet it will be good for getting rid of nitrates.

Ray

·
Registered
162 Posts
its not a clam its an oyster and is a filter feeder be sure to keep an eye on it if it dies remove it pronto or it can foul your water

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
They are called Tube Corals

Cladocora arbuscula

The orange is sponge and not part of the tube corals just growing on/around them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'd agree. I think its some type of oyster. As for the coral - it looks pretty wiped out. You'd probably be lucky to save any of that at this point.
Very cool tho - If the store saw that "live rock" split open, they'd probably have upped the price!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree with C_K-...the tubes are cladacora...I have some that I have abused many times ande they continue to thrive...they don't do much and not overly gracious to look at, but are cool in their own right...
unfortunately, I don't have pics avail right now, but when I recover my puter I will post them for comparison....
bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts