The Reef Tank banner

Check out this cool crocea clam!

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mtfatwork 
#1 · (Edited)

Not photoshop enhanced. Gosh these things are pretty!

(rihanssu will recognize this clam)

See less See more
#6 ·
Irenicus said:
Very nice Bill. Is it in the lab tank?
Yes, what is particularly cool (to me) is that

(1) it is in the lab tank,

(2) it is doing well (showing obvious growth),

and

(3) I got it essentially for free from rihanssu....I had offerred him free frags, and he asked if I could use a clam. I was not expecting anything in return for the frags, but boy this clam is nice!

Because it is small, and I'm concerned that it gets enough food, I've been feeding the tank daily with a mix of Beta meal, APR, and some sort of Kent liquid invertbtrate food. It seems to like this. However, I'm probably coming dangerously close to overdosing the tank with nutrients, and nutrient levels seem to have gone up a bit, but the algal turf scrubber seems to be keeping up with my clam food feeding (which of course mostly amounts to tank feeding, because most of the food is not captured by the clam) and excessive Cyclopeze feeding for the mandarin in that tank. It is amazing how well those turf scrubbers can keep up with high levels of feeding.

#10 ·
Alero said:
that is very cool!
By the way, the lemonpeel angel you helped us get is doing better every day. It took a long time for it to settle down in its new tank, but even now, it is seeming a bit more comfortable and eating better on practically a daily basis. It was only eating flake food at first, and not very much per day. Then it gradually started eating more and more of that. Now it also eats Vibragrow pellets, Formula II, and (as of yesterday) nori.

Probably my zooanthids are next. :lol:

Most everything I care about in that tank is "backed up" in my other tank though, so if that does happen it won't be immediate disaster. So far it is a good citizen (keeping my fingers crossed).

#11 · (Edited)
Matt,

By the way, I had the clam on the bottom where we put it when you dropped it off for a few days. It kept tipping over and seemed to generally be prone to getting in trouble down there. Then I put it up on a ledge high in the tank near the back center. It was firmly attached the next day, and seems to be very happy there. I was concerned at first that the dumping of the turf scrubber would bother it, but though the mantle flops up and down with each surge from the dumping, it quickly got used to the surge that comes every 40 seconds or so and does not normally retract or respond to the surge. It was not obvious whether it was doing any growth for the first week or so, but in the past week it has shown significant shell growth (suggesting, among other things, that it is fine with the surge conditions).

Everyone who looks at the tank now is amazed by this clam (and given its location in the tank it is easily viewable from above, so the colors show up really nicely). They can hardly believe it is real. It will be cool seeing the reaction of students in the Fall.

I had been wanting to get a clam in that tank for a while now, but was not sure I should spend the money. So getting this from you was perfect. It is also a perfect clam for that tank, since even at full adult size it will not be too outrageously huge.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to do well long-term.

#12 ·
Bill: glad hes doing well. i was a little sad to see him go but i'm glad he got a good home!

otolith said:
Bill, great clam! Matt, that's pretty cool of you to give it to him.

The other day Spazz and I were talking, and we decided to make sure that you are "taken care of."
my grandpa was in the maphia out in broklynn NY i alwas get a tad apprehensive when someone says "taken care of"............

on a more serious note. I got into reefs cuz i genuinly love the hobby theres nothing more relaxing then staring at mine when i'm sad, lonly, without womanly company, out of chips ahoy etc etc. my philosiphy is if i can spare it and someone else needs and or wants it why should i charge them? i'm not here to make money! other the flip side if its a expensive tort/bonsai/pillow or something like that that is real expensive i understand selling that. and vendors!
i'm not a vendor therefore trading/giving is what i like to do
ok ok my rant is done
peace!!
-matt egan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.