The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Awesome pics. The funny thing is that skill is only part of it. Not taking anything away from this guy, but luck, patience & opportunity also play in to it. I've been doing U/W photography for close to 12 yrs. Skill is a great part of nailing a great shot, but getting cooperation from your subject is tricky. For some reason fish won't sit still for ya.....lol

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
You definately have a point. I think about trying to take pictures of fish in the tank, what a pia.

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you read the text, he explains the timing issue and how long some of these shots take to get.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ocnreef said:
If you read the text, he explains the timing issue and how long some of these shots take to get.
Oh I know about the timing. The picture I have behind the check out stand of the Christmas Tree Worms took me about 45 minutes to get. I snapped like 10 shots just to get 1. Good thing I was only in 15' of water. I took a couple U/W photo classes, even the professionals say they're lucky to get one usable shot out of a roll of 36.

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He mentions the film issue also but does everything digital now. I imagine digital would make it a little easier because you can just keep shooting.

I'll have to check out your picture, sea devil, the next time I'm over on that side of town and have a chance to stop in the store.

What a job he has....working independently and for National Geographic taking U/W pictures all over the world at some of the best reef locations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts