The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this tank a little over a month ago to get myself back into the habit of maintenance in preparation of my next BIG tank. This tank is a glass vase from Target and has a 240gph power head with a clipped impeller, Marineland Duetto filter and a 10w heater. The light is one of the 50/50 10w compact fluorescents. I have inserted a few pictures and a link to a quick video, view it in the HD setting. Unfortunately I could not figure how to embed a video from Facebook.

Pictures:

Video:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151008516255595&set=vb.510225594&type=2&theater

Livestock:
Short stem red flower pot coral
Three species of zoanthids and polyps which I have not identified
Metallic green star polyps
Superman mushroom
Two Hawaiian feather dusters
Pulsing Xenia
One blue legged hermit crab

I change about a quart of water every other day and manually top off for evaporation twice daily. The photo period is set to 12 hours. I add a drop of Kent Marine Microvert and a drop of Chromomax twice a week. Thus far everything has been extremely happy. I originally was using the real ocean water they sell at Petco but found it to have too much die-off/nitrates. Switching to synthetic sea water has yielded some incredibly happy coral and only a month in, some are already starting to reproduce.

I am going to switch to a DIY LED fixture with strong blue and UV for coloring soon and get rid of the filter in favor for a DIY pico skimmer to run for a couple hours after water changes (water changes stir up sediment) in the next few days. I plan to add a frag of green hammer coral and potentially a single dendro polyp to finish off the live stock. If I don't get a dendro I may instead get some sort of dwarf goby to swim (frowned upon, I know) around. I have had my eye on a pink-eyed goby at .5-.75" but they are extremely hard to come by.

Anyway, ENJOY! :thumbup:

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The Xenia was actually rubber banded to a piece of the rock where he was supposed to take. The night I put him in, he chopped in half at the band and wound up where he is now. At first he was only slightly attached (literally within 6 hours) but over the next couple days he developed a strong footing. I moved a couple things around to make his placement seam a little more natural.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Two questions; How noisy is that Duetto, and how did you go about clipping the impeller?

Keep us posted on the LED lights and the skimmer. I love DIY projects! Well, I love reading about other people doing DIY projects. =P

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks, The Duetto is not noisy at all though I do not particularly recommend it. I added it because I wanted to get some of the sentiment out of the water. You would be amazed at how much waste the corals produce and the high flow in the small tank really swirls it around. Because of the height of the duetto, I had to turn the flow all the way down to the point where it is good for nothing but a very small media chamber and slight surface disturbance. The main reason I wouldn't use it again is because of how hard it is the clean and change the media, you have to remove the filter and take it apart; the amount of water you lose alone in this situation makes it unfavorable which lead to me not doing it often and a small cyano outbreak. This is why I decided to add a small skimmer to replace the filter. I will probably add some sort of collection sock as well as a small refugium for chaeto algae to help pull out some nutrients. I already do over 100% in water changes a week. I may be getting the extra nutrients from a bristle worm which found its way into the power head blade and wound up in little bits hidden in every crevice in the tank.

I clipped the blade of my power head with rounded nail clippers about 1mm at a time until I had removed enough to stop "cyclone" from throwing water over the sides of the tank. I think it wound up around 4mm long on each side; I removed a little less than half.

I have ordered a par38 fixture which hopefully will not be too much light if I turn it down. Everything seams to be very happy with the current fixture but so does the cyano. Hopefully running on the actinic side of the spectrum with the adjustable LED will help this.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small update on this tank. I am having a lot of trouble dialing in my new LED lighting to where everything is happy. It seams that some of the coral crave more light while most of the coral streak in terror at the brightness. I have to attribute this to how shallow the tank is.

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Awsome little tank! I just went BB on my tank. I really like the look of the xenia taking to the glass like that. I wonder if I could coax a frag mine to do the same.

Hope you can find a balance with the LeD. Definitely want to see pics when you have that going.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder if you can manage to find piece of glass or acrylic to put over to stop the evap? But then again there would be no O2 exchange and might cause algae or wither the corals...Anyways, looking good!

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thus far I have found now need for a piece of glass or acrylic on the top. The evaporation is a good thing, topping off with this small tank can be cumbersome but and auto-top-off is cheap and easy to do. Thank you, I feel like it has been going pretty well so far.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This was the last picture I had of the pico tank. I realized that after I added the fish I could no longer keep up with the demands of the system. It was absolutely impossible to remove detritus in certain places under the rock which I did not know about and the amount of work to keep nitrates and phosphates at zero was intense. Rather than removing livestock I decided to set up a 20L in place of the smaller pico tank. All of the same livestock plus a couple recent acquisitions are in the 20L minus my one acro which did not make it. I probably will not be buying any more soft or LPS coral but rather creating an SPS island. I will not be adding a whole lot of live rock to this tank as I like open aquascaping. I still also need to buy two more PAR38 LED lights to finish up the tank and will install the second 700gph powerhead when one of my new coral attaches.

The "spotlight" effect as not anywhere near as bad as the picture entails. The light is also at an angle to spread a little further. I will add more light and stock it with SPS when I know that the new cycling is over and probably add a six line wrasse and a couple more hermits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts