The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an email from the "Pet Talk" columnist for the Oregonian newspaper ( the Portland daily paper.) Due to the interest in the movie, she wants to interview myself or "someone who can speak for the PNWMAS" regarding responsible husbandry of saltwater animals and also wants information on clownfish in general.

Quote: I'm working on a column about responsible fish ownership and aquarium care.
I understand that, in some cities, there has been a run on clown fish because
of the movie "Finding Nemo." I'd like to address the realities of tropical
fish as pets.

I'd like to talk about the care and maintenance of an aquarium, the cost of
doing it right, and sources of information. I'm interested in telling my
readers how to go about buying healthy fish from a responsible party.

I'm also seeking specific information about clown fish, the focus of the
movie.

I think you'll find this is a
good chance to educate the general public about the needs of these animals.
Unquote

Cool, huh? I'm glad we get to tell "our side." I'm going to call her tomorrow.

Alice

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Grrrrrr...I spent 10 minutes working on a reply to her email and my browser crashed! Ah well, I'm dedicated...I'll start again from scratch. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
that's great alice!! finally someone in the mainstream trying to curve the inevitable!

sounds like a great chance to pass on some good info the the readers, regarding clowns and sw in general.

I'd like to talk about the care and maintenance of an aquarium, the cost of
doing it right, and sources of information
also sounds like a good free plug for TRT and PNWMAS

·
Registered
852 Posts
Go get 'em Alice :)

I remember a lot of dog breeders were very vocal when 101 Dalmatians came out - they tried very hard to let people know that these dogs weren't for everybody. I have a Dalmation (from before the movie) so I know :rolleyes:

It didn't stop the run on Dalmations but it might have curbed it a bit...

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Yeah - go get 'em. Or rather, go educate them. :) Our local paper did an article about Nemo and the hobby a couple of days ago. It wasn't perfect, but wasn't bad at all, as they'd interviewed the two best LFSs in town.

Danielle

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Go Alice! time to give a education!:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alice the educator?

Can you give me a little information about the hobby?

What is PNWMAS?

That is almost as confusing as the whole J crowd thing. Would not mind having an explanation on that too.

Thanks

Bob

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
Pacific NorthWest MArine Aquarium Society(based in Portland, Or)
The "J" Crowd, hmmmmmm we are still trying to splain that one ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks doug

We still need to work on the J crowd thing.

I do have a possible explanation. It could stand for "Cat J?"

Cat J is a slang term used in California prisons for people who are, how can I put this politely, mentally unbalanced.

Just a thought:)

Bob

·
Registered
139 Posts
do a search for the "dreaded Question" thread. . . has a somewhat convoluted J- crowd explaination/debate. . .

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
weeeeeellll i was in prison ;)

and it's safe to say most of the J Crowd is slightly mentally unbalanced ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just had to say that there were alot of dalmations in the pound after 101 (but after meeting a few I could see why... sorry had to add that...:rolleyes: ) Unfortunatly there are no fishpounds! What day is that article to be published? I would love to see it!

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
luckily most of the oregonian is available online daily via oregonlive.com so when we fgind out the street date we can hopefully let yall in on it so you can see what alice educated to them... erm... well you know what i mean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is to Jay,

Something about your posts, I suspected that you did time somewhere.

Does your parole agent know about the J crowd?

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just spent about a half hour talking with Deborah Wood, the Pet Talk columnist. She's talked to several good sources of info and will have a photographer out to Upscales on Thursday. We talked about responsible aquarium/fish/reef care and I gave her the scoop on PNWMAS as well as a list of good beginner books and the TRT url :D

The article will be on the front page of next Tuesday's Living Section of the Oregonian.

Alice

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
weeeeeellll i was in prison
?????????

Jay Im confused I thoguht you were just on a state funded Vacation you never mentiooned Prison

ROFL

Jeff

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
newcomer

yeah i did a year. jeffs right i refer to it as my "State funded vacation, room and board included" :D

she does not know about the J Crowd, that would be a sure fire ticket back :funny:

fwiw. i am on probation, not parole. major differance here in ohio, not sure about other states. probation was part of my sentance. parole is for poeple who get out early. and they have vastly different rules.

alice, that's wonderful!!!!! i cant wait to read it. since it will befront page material, i assume it will surely be on thier website so us right coasters can read it too :)

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
newcomer said:
This is to Jay,

Something about your posts, I suspected that you did time somewhere.

Does your parole agent know about the J crowd?
HMmmmmmmm not that facts were ever hidden but what does this have to do with state of crime art in cal, last I looked Jay was in Ohio, supervised. I f I had his PO 's email he would be inunduated in glowing reports ;)

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
ohio rules. im sure there would be probation violations here in oregon for joining a gang as infamous as the j crowd.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
;)

come to think of it one of my probationary rules:

4. you must choose your associates wisely.

that can be taken any number of ways.. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts