The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I was thinking...(yes I know that can be a dangerous thing to do)

in the first chamber of my biocube 29g, all that it is used for is a heater, and the optional carbon filter. So...could I put cheato in there with a little sub light? Or is there a reason why this shouldn't be done?

if anyone has any reasons as to not doing this..please tell me now! Since I've already added some cheato to the above said location and am only asking as an after thought....:doh:

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Personally IMO you dont need chaeto or any other type of macro algae in a tank!:wavey:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I remember from some of your posts that you and a couple others feel pretty strong about not using macro algae in tanks...

but I'm more so wondering about where mine is placed in my tank, not whether it is beneficial or not
I do appreciate you sharing your opinion though.... :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I like chaeto: inexpensive, removes some nitrogen and phosphates, provides home for pods.
If you put chaeto in the first chamber, it will act as filter media, which is not necessarily bad. If it is in the first chamber, after you do your weekly water change, pull out the entire clump of chaeto, swish it around (slightly opening it up a bit) and replacing it in the first chamber. You will probably notice that the removed water got a bit dirtier. Remember to put a small light over the chaeto, and you will periodically need to harvest out some of it. The discarded chaeto can be donated to your LFS, another hobbiest, or discarded.

·
Doc Holiday
2,373 Posts
When I ran my bio cube I put it in the first chamber and got a little clip-on light from lowes that worked out well..

·
Registered
773 Posts
I wouldn't think you would want it in the filter section. If it traps detrius, you will have a potential problem. I've heard time and time again to clean socks every other day. The cheato would need to be done the same way, would it not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay so I was thinking...(yes I know that can be a dangerous thing to do)

in the first chamber of my biocube 29g, all that it is used for is a heater, and the optional carbon filter. So...could I put cheato in there with a little sub light? Or is there a reason why this shouldn't be done?

if anyone has any reasons as to not doing this..please tell me now! Since I've already added some cheato to the above said location and am only asking as an after thought....:doh:
Wow so here we are 10 years later. I am about to set up a 29gallon biocube reef tank. I'm trying to build a home for my pods and have been exploring putting chaeto in my first chamber. Can you tell me if you ended up doing this or not? How did it work out for you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like chaeto: inexpensive, removes some nitrogen and phosphates, provides home for pods.
If you put chaeto in the first chamber, it will act as filter media, which is not necessarily bad. If it is in the first chamber, after you do your weekly water change, pull out the entire clump of chaeto, swish it around (slightly opening it up a bit) and replacing it in the first chamber. You will probably notice that the removed water got a bit dirtier. Remember to put a small light over the chaeto, and you will periodically need to harvest out some of it. The discarded chaeto can be donated to your LFS, another hobbiest, or discarded.
Good point. 👍

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
I don't have the same tank, but I do this in the center chamber of my Nano (first one is full in my case). I have a cheap submersible light from Amazon, I think it's something like 15 watts and cost ~$20, and it grows Cheato like crazy! The only downside is that my cheap light has failed once after a year. Not sure if that will keep happening or if I got a defective unit.

Not the greatest picture, but this was before filling:
IMG_7441 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This shows the chambers a little better:
IMG_7394 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts