The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ive only heard they are junk, just remember you get what you pay for. try to find a better fixture on ebay. you can get something much better for the same price.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Yep, aquatraders has a bad reputation. Try checking out the TRT sponsors, you can find some great prices on high quality lighting.

Also, DIYing will cost much less.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) just thought i would ask. i was thinking of buying one of the 24" ones and try it on my small tank to try it out. its only 30 bucks

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
when I first "found" that website I was tempted to get my MH from them, then I remember when I bought my Seaclone. That was enough for me. I will not try to cut corners getting some inexpensive knokoff product. I work hard for my money and I like to invest wisely. Live and learn, I guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a 24 inch metal halide light with actnic fluorescents from them and I have had it for over three years and it is still working beautifully. I have not had a problem with the ballast or the fixture. The name brand of the light is Odysea. I have to routinely (once every three months) clean the cooling fans so the dust does not build up.

Cheers

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thats 2 people that has lights from them and 2 good reviews anyone else buy from them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a 260w pc setup from them about 7 months ago and havent had any problems. The fixture is pretty good but with the money you save buying the fixture it may be worth it to get some good bulbs to throw in there. I'm not a big fan of the cheapo bulbs that came with it.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
To echo other's sentiments - [email protected] A client of mine bought a used tank with one of these fixtures - very flimsy. The man who owned it had only bought it a few months before, and the legs were already bent/broken, and he was very meticulous about his tank.

Like anything else - you get what you pay for. The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the cheap price is forgotten.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
JennM said:
To echo other's sentiments - [email protected] A client of mine bought a used tank with one of these fixtures - very flimsy. The man who owned it had only bought it a few months before, and the legs were already bent/broken, and he was very meticulous about his tank.

Like anything else - you get what you pay for. The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the cheap price is forgotten.

Jenn

I agree here 100 %. You do get what you pay for, I have heard more bad and will say the only good reports I have ever heard about these lights is on this thread. Before today I have never heard a good report.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm thats 3 that have them and said the PC is ok. Anyone else have one that would like to share?

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Go to RC and read all the stories about fires cause by their products....I wouldn't risk it. I almost did, but am glad I didn't!!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You do get what you pay for. However, I had a nano 20 gallon that I bought 2 2x24" T5 HO fixtures for from them, and I replaced the bulbs with bulbs from reeftanklighting.com, and it worked really well. My thing was I wanted more powerful light, but didn't want to spend a ton on a 20 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have not purchaed from them, but I purchased one of those fixtures. They work just fine, but I think you would want to get better bulbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts