The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">About to change tank. Right now I have a 72Bow front with everything hangon. I have reef ready tank that I want to put in it's place. How do I make the transformation without killing everthing in the tank? I only have 3 clowns, 1 tang, 2 xenia and snails.:confused: The new tank has to go in the same place. And also what do i do with the fish when changing tanks?</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">the new tank is going in the same place

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Keep your live rocks, throw away any sand bed in the old tank - start with new sand. To make it easier on fish/corals, save some of the old water (50% is good) and use fresh RO/DI at the same salinity/quality as the old water to fill up the new tank....let the new tank sit for a bit, make sure every thing is working properly - - it might cycle anyway, depending on how much LR you can save/use.

HHC

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I suggest a few rubbermaid tubs, heaters, and pumps. :) Pour the water from your tank into the rubbermaid(s), add the LR/corals/fish, and then make your switch.

I agree about the sand...maybe keep a little to seed your new sand, but putting the sand back carries with it the potential for a new cycle.

Good luck to you!!

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Go to Target or Walmart and buy 5 of the 32 Gallon Rubbermaid tub. Get a 12' section of flexible tubing. Premix saltwater in 3 of the tubs.

1st tub - fill with water from your tank. Add heater, powerhead and fish.
2nd tub - fill with water from your tank. Add heater, powerhead and coral, crabs, snails, etc.
3rd tub - dunk swish your LR in the remaining water in your fish tank. Place LR in third tub with premixed water. Scrub your rocks off with a nylon brush. Dunk/swish repeatedly and move LR to 4th Tub of premixed water.

Empty your old tank, put in the new. I'd keep one tub of premixed water off to the side to top the system off.

If you can get 5/8" hose to use as a siphon, you can use a max-jet 1200 to pump the water from the tubs back up into the new tank.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">If I decide to get to get new rock will I have to let it sit before adding livestock? Old rock keeps growing Anemomes</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Yeah, you'll want to cure any new LR you get, which you can use one of the tubs for. Are your little anemones brown with stripes? Sounds more like aptasia...if it is, there's plenty of ways to get rid of them if you don't want them.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Sounds like you might have majanos or aiptasia. If so, you don't want them. You can do a search here to see if you have them...there are plenty of pics.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I would rather get rid of them rather than buy new rock. any suggestions on getting rid of the aptisia?
Exotic Aquatics is where I do most shopping.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
For getting rid of aiptasia - - use Joe's Juice (it's expensive but works VERy well) sold on any of the reef supply sites on the 'net. Peppermint shrimps also eat aiptasia but you'll need to establish your tank for a while before adding one of those.....

HHC

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
I'd suggest a peppermint shrimp...I had may 10 or 15 aiptasia on my LR when I first set up my tank. I think the shrimp ate all of them including the glass anemones in about a week or to.

I get all my livestock from Exotic Aquatics...they usually have really nice stuff. But I get all my hardware up at That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. A few of us are thinking about going up in the next few months together. You should come up and prepare to be amazed. ;)

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73714
http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/IndexFish.aspx

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I order all of my supplies/hardware from That Fish Place! I would love to see pictures after you visit, I bet it's pretty cool....

HHC

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"> thanks for the advice I'll try the peppermint shrimp. And I will also have to visit that fish place.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
The peppermint is hit or miss, ime, especially with bigger aiptasia. And I don't think they touch majanos.

In any event, I wish you the best in getting rid of them!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I will give it a try. If it doesn't work I will get rid of the rock.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Numan

Did you complete the aquarium swapout yet? If so, how did it/is it going? I'm getting ready to start a 75 to 125 swapout myself. Picking the tank up tonight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts