The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading up on some filters and I came across "how often do you change your filter sock". After reading up on that, people change it out 2x a day to every 2 days. I've had my sock on there for about a month (since it cycled with it) and wouldn't removing it also remove all the beneficial bacteria?

·
Registered
215 Posts
bacteria should be in the rock and sand, not significantly in the sock. if the water is still moving through the sock ok (water level in the sock roughly the same as in that chamber of the sump), and you're happy with your water clarity, I'd leave it in. once one of those things isn't true, give it a cleaning and replace.

·
Registered
188 Posts
... mechanical filtration should be changed/rinsed frequently ... or else it will become a biological filter ... which is bad news, cause when you finally do clean it, you've lost some of the bio bacteria in a VERY high flow area ... in a small system this could cause a "mini-cycle" ... in large aquaria it's barely noticed .....

For me, a rule of thumb is "mechanical filtration" traps undissolved "organics" ... which means I want it out of the tank as soon as possible before it breaks down to nitrates ....

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Someday Nate is going to post the pattern. The seal on the top ring is very important for my sump. Nate, quit bragging and get specific! (cuz I know you will)

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Sorry,

Ok, well the top ring I just used to the top rim of a Zip-Lock Container, I got at the $1 store so 6 rings for $1....

I got regular felt from the fabric store, its not a great micron filter, but it will polish your water ;)

now for the felt, before I used the felt squares at $0.25 each, well thats for a 14x10" size (guessing there). this time I saw they had it on bolts, so that was $3.5 per yard, and the yard is about 36" so about 9 sq ft of material....

I made some socks bigger, by skipping step # 2

I just cut the rim off the container then slipped the sock INSIDE the ring, then folded it back over then sewed it. but I was going to sew the sock TOO the ring, but my machine would not fit it and I didn't want to do it by hand. but if you do need the plastic rim to fin inside a hole flush, then you can sew the sock on the ring, or use a strong, inert, waterproof epoxy to glue it on.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
You are truly the Martha Stewart of the reef. Do you know how to turn skimmate into napkin rings or holiday centerpieces? The only use I have found for it is to pretend it is coffee, ensuring the rapid departure of unwanted breakfast guests.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
You are truly the Martha Stewart of the reef. Do you know how to turn skimmate into napkin rings or holiday centerpieces? The only use I have found for it is to pretend it is coffee, ensuring the rapid departure of unwanted breakfast guests.
makes for some great plenty food, just be careful with the salt affects..
pond scum works great (better then skimmate) for flowers and veggies, Miracle Grow has noth'n on it :thumbup:

now if you want to really grow some pods, add skimmate to your pod tank and watch the numbers explode... :rolleyes:

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Hey nate, all martha stewart jokes aside, I am done (almost) with the 10 gal i have kept cycled for zoa frags. I am thinking of putting it into the garage for a sludgy pod tank. I think my extreme temp without heater will be 45 -90 (these are max and only last a few days) with an average of 65ish. small HOB filter with no media just for minimal flow. Light a few hours each day. Calupera for free and live rock thats been in a bucket covered with sw for a month. Pod haven or pod scum disaster?

And how do you transfer your little dirty bugs to your obsessively clean tank? I prefer no condos, as they drive the property value down.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I have a heating pad made for 5 gallons that I use when long term drips are necessary. Pretty feeble, but I'll bet it can keep above 60. Temp range in Portland should be a low of 45 until summer ( which begins on july 5th) . What is the highest heat you have had pods survive?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts