The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Eheim 2213 canister filter on my 10 gal nano. It's been running for almost 3 years. Now it seems as though the flow rate has slowed down.
I've never changed the media or have I done anything as far as maintenance. I'm thinking that I might want to open it up and possibly replace the media or even the filter.
Is there any way to do this without recycling the tank?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
ok, 1. Canisters trap detritus very easily, and over 3 years without any maintenance, gezz. I can only imagine the foul stenches and substances coming out of that thing. THey should be cleaned at the very least every week. And on a reef tank, they cause havoc because of all the excess nutrients they put out. SO the best thing you could do is take it off if you are running a reef, and if you are funning and FOWLR, take it off as well. THe only filtration you need if the live rock in your tank.

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, 1. Canisters trap detritus very easily, and over 3 years without any maintenance, gezz. I can only imagine the foul stenches and substances coming out of that thing. THey should be cleaned at the very least every week. And on a reef tank, they cause havoc because of all the excess nutrients they put out. SO the best thing you could do is take it off if you are running a reef, and if you are funning and FOWLR, take it off as well. THe only filtration you need if the live rock in your tank.
Interesting? I've been running my tank for 2 years and I am doing really well?
I'm not having a problem with my tank, fish or inverts. My problem is with my filter flow rate.
I've tested my water up down and sideways and have consistantly found 0PPM NO3.

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t have coal in my tank, I have a pair of clowns and a green BTA plus a lot of polyps, tube worms and stuff I cannot identify that came in on my live rock.<O:p</O:p
There is nothing wrong with my tank. It is perfect and I’d like to keep it that way.<O:p</O:p
My problem is that the flow rate from my filter seems to be down and I’d like to get it back up WITHOUT disturbing my “perfect” tank. <O:p</O:p
I’m looking for suggestions.<O:p</O:p

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was a little worried about your comments so I went and did a NO3 check. The level of nitrates in my tank is the same as in my newly made water (about 0.7 ppm). This is what it always is and this low value is at the limit of my test so I'm not sure that it isn't really 0.0.

Anyway I'm certain that my filter is not throwing out toxic waste. (I kind of knew that since my tank flora/fauna are doing well).

I decided to buy a second Eheim and put it on together with my old filter for a few weeks to get it cycled in. Then I'll take the old filter off and see what is going on in it.

Thanks for the help. RTP

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK here is an update!
Not remembering what my filter stack looked like (it was years since I installed it), I didn't realize that there is a fine filter pad and a charcoal pad at the top (end) of the filter stack. They were clogged causing the slowdown in flow rate. I guess these should be replaced every 6-12 months in my tank. You can do this without disturbing your biofilter in the lower part of the filter stack.
BTW the inside of my filter was not a putrid mess. It was exactly the same as any other surface in my tank and had numerous inverts like sponges and scarlet tube worms attached to the filter media.
Now that I have an extra canister filter, maybe I'll set up another tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts