The Reef Tank banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
If the secondary drain starts to flow more it will get noisy as well. The bean is a safer design overall.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yeah, I remember the old days with just one pipe sticking up in the tank, and all the water drained through it.....a soothing sound I seem to recall. :ROFLMAO: Kinda like me with that Monster B+W malt I'll be sucking through a straw tonight.
Hack

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
There is a website that explains the Herbie and Bean Animal drain systems. If I can find it I will post a link to it. Very detailed.

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Followed the links Vinnie, and eventually got on BRS, and then back down the rabbit hole to all the other videos I could find.....MAN do I feel much more intelligent now.....THANKS GUYS!

Now I have to go look at some 'reef ready' tanks and see if they have 2 or 3 holes. I think after some of the noise makers I've had around here, if only 2 holes, I'll be fine with a herbie.....but will look into a bean if given the option. One video is worth a thousand words, and now seems MUCH LESS SCARY n OVERWHELMING.
Hack
Is it this one in brs. Just copy below and put in browser
  • How Durso, Herbie, and Bean Animal Overflows Work
👍

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am looking for some soft corals maybe when you break it down you could let me know. I am in Florida but could send you a shipping label. Good luck !

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Hack, I have run a Herbie since I set this tank up. It has been reliable the whole time.
That said, I would have used a Bean Animal if I had found it while I was looking at drain systems. Of course I found it after the fact.
So, go for a Bean, it is the quietest, most reliable system. Adjusted correctly the Herbie and Bean are both as quiet but the Bean has the extra security of the drain line.
Just my opinion.

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I hoping for a 'package deal' first.....seeing if'n someone wants the whole schlemiel first. But I am notorious for unloading my Corals on folks. 🤔 😁
I will keep you in mind....THANK YOU for being interested in helping.
Hack
I am looking for some soft corals maybe when you break it down you could let me know. I am in Florida but could send you a shipping label. Good luck !

81 - 93 of 93 Posts