The Reef Tank banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
ALL NEW STUFF to me Jerry. Hadn't given any of this any thought.......we're cutting edge here.
I'll see what John has for a 'source' or catalogs, and add thoughts to the fire.

NOT particularly in the DIY arena any more if I can buy it. Getting lazy in my old age Pal.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
I think that since we started talking about adding a sump to the plan just a page ago, that the benefit of a Coast to Coast overflow, may not be worth the cost and the hassle in your case. I've looked into it, and I get it, but I've never considered one for my systems because I don't think they are better enough to be worth it.

To compare, I feel like you will get a 500% improvement in the tank's long term success and ease of maintenance by adding a sump with either a premade RR tank or doing a premade ghost overflow, but only maybe a 5% improvement over that by a coast to coast overflow.

That being said, if I was setting up a really large tank, like over 400 gallons, I would get much more serious about considering it because skimming those organics right from the top makes much more difference when the amount of return flow and skimmer throughput relative to tank size starts to go down as it does in larger systems.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,170 Posts
I guess the overflow I have is a ghost, never knew of the name, I’m getting good skimming of the surface water and surface movement. I also like how you can pull in inside box to clean.
And it’s amazing the amount of flow, I’m running a 1600 gph pump at wide open, not sure how much loss I have with head and plumbing,

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I'll have to take pictures next time at John't so I can sound more intelligent with the names of all this stuff to get water in n out of our display tanks. The head hurts! I am interested this trip around in 'buying' and trying not to settle/chince out'......I have all the time in the world.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
I'll link what I'm talking about here. To be clear I don't think this is the best one for you, I'd go (and did go) with the one that has 2 holes through the glass and 3 drains for my 75, but this is the one I just picked up for my 40G Frag tank. I think Vinnie has the bigger size that is better for you, but all of them even come with the drill bit for your tank:

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
Wiskey, how would you do a bean with this one that only has two drains in the outer box? You would only have the primary and emergency it the primary and secondary. I know this is not the one you recommended to Hack.
but I see you are using this one on a tank.
That is for my little Frag tank that will be in the dedicated fish room so I'm not as worried about noise in this case. I won't be doing a bean there, I will be doing a Herbie. You have one line that is full syphon like a bean, but then you have the trickle line which also has a flat top and can take 100% of the flow if the main line becomes blocked. Basically the same thing, but the emergency and trickle drains are the same thing, and it doesn't use a Durso because the hole in the top of them would prevent a full syphon.

The Herbie system has a little more noise because you don't have the durso to silence the trickle of the trickle drain, but otherwise it works well.

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Adjusted right a Herbie is as quiet as a Bean. Just lacks the extra security of a designated normally empty emergency drain.

·
Premium Member
25,170 Posts
That is for my little Frag tank that will be in the dedicated fish room so I'm not as worried about noise in this case. I won't be doing a bean there, I will be doing a Herbie. You have one line that is full syphon like a bean, but then you have the trickle line which also has a flat top and can take 100% of the flow if the main line becomes blocked. Basically the same thing, but the emergency and trickle drains are the same thing, and it doesn't use a Durso because the hole in the top of them would prevent a full syphon.

The Herbie system has a little more noise because you don't have the durso to silence the trickle of the trickle drain, but otherwise it works well.

Whiskey
Ok I was wondering being I know you hate noise.
Adjusted right a Herbie is as quiet as a Bean. Just lacks the extra security of a designated normally empty emergency drain.
I haven’t mess with the herbie in the pass unless I did and forgot, I’ve been using the bean for awhile now on my tank. I’m going to have to look it up.

reason I like threads like this.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Tried it once. When I first started, too impatient. Got a bad bottle lost 2 Clarkii (?) clowns. After that got patience.

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Yeah, gonna practice what I preach.....got a bag of frozen uncooked shrimp in the freezer waiting for the big day.

Spent my night going down the rabbit hole of 'over flows'. Yeah, gotta get 'hands on' at John's place. I see where 'Reef Central' had a thread on the various types of over flows for new folks.......just from a WEB search, NOT a member.
THAT might be an awesome spin off from here for someone to start a thread and get it 'stickied'. 👍
I hope not only me, but others can learn from this journey. All the old colored stone keepers have pretty much moved on.

Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
You will fine bean animal to be the overflow setup of choice these days and have been for some time.
Pretty much a fail safe and quiet set up
I second this. I only use Bean or Herbie these days depending on the application. (Herbie is used when you only have 2 holes to work with, Bean is the same thing with an extra emergency drain needing 3 holes).

Whiskey

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
.......What's the 2nd and 3rd holes all about....redundancy? 🤔
Hack

·
Premium Member
25,170 Posts
One hole is the primary, full flow. Then one is secondary, slower flow getting what the first doesn’t. Then the straight pipe is an emergency. You set the first primary as low to the bottom of box. It’s a u shape. Secondary is the other u shap it a small air vent in it. It’s a little higher off the bottom, the emergency is just a pipe up above the others below the top of box.
Then you plumb into sump you place the primary and secondary below the water level of the sump. Super quiet, the emergency I run above my water level so it something isn’t working properly it will be loud and make you aware of an issue. Easy to set up.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
The Herbie has 2 drains one flows full and the only has a trickle in it. If the primary drain starts to get blocked more water flows in the secondary. This stops the display from overflowing.
The bean animal has these two drains for the same reason plus a third normally dry emergency drain as a back up.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts