The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I will DEFINITELY be building my own stands out there. Doors n fancy schmansies not required. Just a 'fish room'.
Mechanical filtration I see the need for, even with religious siphoning, fish food and poo will still circulate.

Had a terrible time with filter socks, down in said sump.....filthier than the dirt I'm trying to remove. Even if it's easily accessible, I found cleaning them is tough...AND NO, ain't going in Jen's washer!
I would rather something along the lines of floss that I use to use extensively......on a tray like a wet-dry I use t use with a layer of floss.....and toss once a week'ish, and add new. I don't like mechanical filters as they always have dirt spill in them during cleanings, thus need way more than advertised maintenance.

I realize I've spent sooo much time with softies, I've picked up 'tolerances' and habbits un be fitting those required for collecting pretty stones. BE GENTLE.
Hack

·
Premium Member
25,170 Posts
I find socks to be very convenient, I need to pick up more so I can just swap out, I don’t wash in washer machine, I wash by hand and then hang to dry. Just have to keep up with it.
the filter material will work like you mention but will continue to be an expense replacing, where sock you just wash.

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I pay myself by the hour....and I'm bloody expensive! 🤔 😁 Floss is wayyyyyy cheaper.
Hack

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Still to be determined. Rather have something 'ready to go' rather than another HOB...WHICH I had no problems with in 7 years.......just don't want to push my luck.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
Still to be determined. Rather have something 'ready to go' rather than another HOB...WHICH I had no problems with in 7 years.......just don't want to push my luck.
Hack
NO HOB OVERFLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know for sure, but I'm betting Geoff hates those more than fuges ;)

Drilling a tank can be done, (most 75's have tempered bottoms, but not backs) but the Reef Ready 75G isn't that much more than the regular one honestly. Since you are building a new system, this is when you can think it through and make it just the way you want to reduce maintainace for the next 7 years.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
Filter socks work great for me, but I have my own washer, and my ex actually liked me cleaning my socks in the washer because it meant that I ran bleach through it and kept it smelling fresh. If I couldn't put them in the washer there is no way I would use filter socks.

My filter sock is nothing fancy, it just literally clips onto the down pipe. To remove it I just pop it off the clip and slide it down just under the drain pipe then slip another on. My drain pipe only goes about 1/2" under the water so it's a really easy change.

It's also very easy to not run one if I choose.

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Even if the bottom of tank is tempered you can usually drill the back or end. If use a remote sump drilling the end may be preferable, you can drop straight down to the sump.

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Y'All put a hole in there for the water to go out, and another for it to go back in! THOUGH I've always looked kindly upon them 'weir looking thingies' that stretch across the rear of the tank.......nice 'surface sucking action'.
Hack

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'm starting to feel like a real free louder here......THIS isn't even my 'BUILD THREAD' n that 'maybe tank' yet. 🤔 😁

I have a 210 gallon HAPPY REEF to get out of Dodge before all the real money spending starts.
With my famous 'brown bag' out look on life....especially packing, WHICH drives Jen bonkers.
I know what I need for a 2 week trip.....at's all in the abstract in my head...needn't verbalize, and pre-stage. Uncle Sam taught me well to grab n go.....most important,m GO!

Yeh there's wrinkles, but I'll cross that bridge mentality. Jen needs 5 suit cases for that said 2 weeks. Really my 2-pairs of soaks fit just fine in that Wawa bag....OOhhhhhh don't even get Her started on me using a Wawa bag at a fancy schmancy hotel.....

WOW....🤔.....Where was I.....

OH.....I had the tank n Corals all PLANNED out in my head("Brown paper bag philosophy"), Dropping off at John's, and get a little bling in return for tank....

THEN THE BUG about just blessing someone on here popped up. First choice, Rick and Canada in the throws of WINTER, COVID, and border security kinda nipped that.....BUT seems to worked out for the best.

So now I'm thinking seeing if'n anyone within say a nice days drive.....12-18 hours, and has a WAITING, CYCLED TANK ready to go, would be my preference.

Hack
If'n I was any type of a computer person, I'd have a map of the US with spotting rings on it to show the 'circle of opportunity'.
I can draw a picture in the sand with a stick, and sketch it, and take a picture....:ROFLMAO:

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Almost reminded me of an HOB in the inside, the full length, and the water exits the bottom to the sump?
Hack

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ahhhhhh, 'coast to coast'....THANK YOU JERRY!
These thingies have fallen from grace or something?
Seem like a groovy idea?
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
Allot of people are doing Ghost overflows now instead of coast to coast. The coast to coast have a purpose, but you have to be so careful to get them level, plus all of them were DIY, and it's just not as common.

This is my 75 with the ghost overflow:
Back:
IMG_4525 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Inside:
IMG_4986 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

You see that the inside part is this little tiny box only an inch thick, the back holds all the plumbing and such.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,857 Posts
BTW,.. I get the desire not to put all of this project in your head at one time. It's too much to deal with, but what I do is take each step apart. I focus on the sump, and finish that. Then I focus on plumbing. Then I focus on a hood etc. That way I can give each step the attention it needs, each step can have it's own budget, and the end result is what I'm looking for without the whole thing being overwhelming.

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
You could do a narrow coast to coast and set up an external box for the plumbing. 2 or 3 bulkheads going from the tank to the external box. One thing that might help noise is sloping the weir face so the water kind of runs down it more. I don’t know why pre made ones don’t do this.

·
16,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Gives me a great reason to go look through John's store again.....got to go kick the tires.
Hack

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
You can make your own weir. Odds are they won’t make exactly what you want. Have you researched coast to coast weirs? It may give you some ideas.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts