The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,265 Posts
All good advice Wiskey, I have found since living here in the south an ATO is a must. I lose over a gallon a day here maybe even more. It’s one of the things I hate.
I also found that running my auto top off to the overflow works better for me then running into sump. The float switch is in the sump

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
THANKS Whiskey!
Taking 'nothing off the table' on this one Pal.

Went 'tank browsing' this afternoon at John's......pretty sure I found the tank I want. Though discussions are welcome.
Plant Fruit Natural foods Material property Font

I had mentioned thoughts ran from maybe 60-90'sh, and saw all of em today. 90 was just too deep for me, and would be too hard to work in.
BUT this 75 looks AWESOME!

Keeping my LifeReef skimmer.....HVS3-24 HOB
Light Blue Liquid Fluid Water

And was going to keep one of my 4' (8) bulb t5 lights over it......
Blue Light Purple Electricity Gas

Blue Purple Sky Violet Magenta

BUT won't take a 'top of the line' LED off the table if it becomes a better choice.

Going with a 4-pump dosing unit, and was going to use one for daily 'top offs' with distilled water.

BUT, I want this to give me the best shot possible, so NOTHING is in stone yet.
Hack

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
During the summer Vinnie I loose about 2-gallons a day on our 210 gallon.
So some kind of an 'automated top off' will be on the drawing board.
Hack
All good advice Wiskey, I have found since living here in the south an ATO is a must. I lose over a gallon a day here maybe even more. It’s one of the things I hate.
I also found that running my auto top off to the overflow works better for me then running into sump. The float switch is in the sump

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
They're over our 210 gallon 'softies' reef, that's why they're at 18". That (2) 4' units. I do love them, and they put out some big league PAR, thus their height.
Always wanted me a LifeReef, and never imagined it would have been their HOB. But after a 2-3 hour FRIENDLY CHAT with Jeff, he recommended that unit. I always thought HOB slimmers were just 'toys'........YEAH, I was wrong!
Hack

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
If you think about it a HOB skimmer is just a variation of an external skimmer. The quality of the design is what makes one good or mediocre.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,883 Posts
THANKS Whiskey!
Taking 'nothing off the table' on this one Pal.

Went 'tank browsing' this afternoon at John's......pretty sure I found the tank I want. Though discussions are welcome.
View attachment 241996
I had mentioned thoughts ran from maybe 60-90'sh, and saw all of em today. 90 was just too deep for me, and would be too hard to work in.
BUT this 75 looks AWESOME!

Keeping my LifeReef skimmer.....HVS3-24 HOB
View attachment 241997
And was going to keep one of my 4' (8) bulb t5 lights over it......
View attachment 241998
View attachment 241999
BUT won't take a 'top of the line' LED off the table if it becomes a better choice.

Going with a 4-pump dosing unit, and was going to use one for daily 'top offs' with distilled water.

BUT, I want this to give me the best shot possible, so NOTHING is in stone yet.
Hack
I LOVE the tank, it's the same one I had in San Diego, great size.
I love the light! I used 6 bulb T5 when I had SPS in the same tank.

The skimmer can stay and be evaluated on it's performance later.

But I would say that you need a sump to put that skimmer in, and a proper ATO in the sump not just an estimation. We are going for stability here, and even small changes in water level across the surface of a 75G tank equate to big changes in Salinity and everything else (Every parameter goes up).

That 75G tank can be drilled on the back, that's what I did and added a ghost overflow that took up hardly any space in the tank.

Just my opinion.
Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,883 Posts
Yeah that skimmer rocks, good lighting also. I would just use the T-5’s,
Personally I would have lower then what you have now. That just me.,, I don’t like lighting up the whole room, why I like canopies.
What is the measurements of your lights. is that two sets.,
I agree with this unless you put them up that high to reduce light to a measured value. Generally speaking without a canopy light follows the inverse square law, so moving twice as far away results in 4x less light due to spread. I think with T5 about 6" from the water is perfect.

Mine are much higher of course, but that's because they are in a white canopy which reflects the light back in, and I have them up that high so the spotlight LED's have an even spread. If I was all T5 I would do that differently.

Whiskey

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I loath sumps as much as Geoff hated fuges......NO SUMPS!
But I would say that you need a sump to put that skimmer in, and a proper ATO in the sump not just an estimation. We are going for stability here, and even small changes in water level across the surface of a 75G tank equate to big changes in Salinity and everything else (Every parameter goes up).
I can vision a gravity fed holding tank for my ATO with a float switch.......perhaps like 5-gallons.
How 'sensitive' are these float switches? I'm use to the ones we use on boats for bilge pumps, where you need 2-3" to trip the circuit.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,883 Posts
I loath sumps as much as Geoff hated fuges......NO SUMPS!

I can vision a gravity fed holding tank for my ATO with a float switch.......perhaps like 5-gallons.
How 'sensitive' are these float switches? I'm use to the ones we use on boats for bilge pumps, where you need 2-3" to trip the circuit.
Hack
Why such hate for sumps? If they are properly setup they don't pose any risks and make your life allot easier. In fact if I were setting up a tank that couldn't have a full sump for any reason (like my 10G with a sump compartment in the back) I would not be considering SPS. Actually if you recall I had some struggles with the ex wife that forced me to remove the sump partly because she said that she only authorized one tank, and the sump was a second tank. At that time I went to a Soft Coral/LPS tank until the Sump came back. (Ultimately I lost and had to move the tank to a spot where it was hidden away in my office, then I was able to have my Sump back).

I did some research, there is someone who keeps an amazing SPS reef with a canister filter, but its mainly because he came from the freshwater aquascape competition world. It's possible, but there aren't allot of people out there trying this.

For keeping SPS you will need to control nutrients, which will probably mean a refugium and/or running GFO which works super well in a sump. You will also need to dose at least 2 part, and that means you need an area to dose where the concentrated drips can't get anywhere near coral. Even Kalk can't be dosed directly to the display. For that matter, topoff water shouldn't go directly into the display, I don't even put it in the return chamber, it goes in the tank drain side, you want to mix this stuff first. When I'm doing a water change I don't even pour the new salt water into the display I always send it through the sump to mix with old water and go past the heater and such.

I think with the proper setup you would learn to LOVE a sump. It can be quiet, maintenance free, and very useful.

Whiskey

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I had a 40 gallon sump under my 210......PROBABLY DONE COMPLETELY WRONG but came with it. IT WAS HIDEOUS!!!!! A 6' tall guy trying to squeeze between the walls and climb under the stand to 'turkey baster' out the gunk....skimmer always 'overflowing' under there.....NOT fond memories!

If you walk into a room and find everyone in there is wrong......I'm a firm believer you should walk back out and reconsider the situation. I ain't jumping on the sump band wagon quickly, but will listen earnestly.
I can picture a sump, NOT under the stand, but lower, off to the side......THAT could be cheese n crackers.
Hack
This is all about doing it right......so don't want my past short comings hindering this journey.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
A sump off to the side that be completely uncovered for maintenance would be the ideal situation.
most put it in the stand to save space.

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A sump off to the side that be completely uncovered for maintenance would be the ideal situation.
most put it in the stand to save space.
Hack, I will say that I’d you have room and don’t mind having it outside the tank stand, you could have a really nice one . I would make it larger, bump up water volume.
THIS.....this I can wrap my head around. Have a nice, perhaps 40'ish gallon tank set up lower and to the side....EASY TO ACCESS and clean. Have my HOB skimmer, and heaters in it. And my ATO tank on the same stand.....I can picture THIS.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,883 Posts
THIS.....this I can wrap my head around. Have a nice, perhaps 40'ish gallon tank set up lower and to the side....EASY TO ACCESS and clean. Have my HOB skimmer, and heaters in it. And my ATO tank on the same stand.....I can picture THIS.
Hack
This is a great solution! It covers both needs, easy maintenance and nice room in the sump. A 40G Breader would be a dream sump for a tank like that too.
Another thing I find really helps is mechanical filtration. I use a Filter Sock now, but one day might move to a roller mat. This really helps with detritus accumulation in the sump. About once a year I use a shop vac and suck out what does accumulate.

I totally agree about Manufactured stands BTW, they are NEVER tall enough. It makes working on a sump a royal pain. My current one is tall enough, but I would love having open access which is why I'm working on putting my sump in the room behind the tank.

Whiskey

21 - 40 of 93 Posts