The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks.....

I am going to start a thread, and hopefully it will prove to be helpful to others.
I will be tearing down my 7 year old, 210 gallon, 'softies' tank/reef. There's nothing wrong with it, and in fact it has and is a thriving system.

Water Blue Vertebrate World Nature

Water Natural environment Azure Underwater Organism

Water Plant Azure Underwater Fluid

Water Natural environment Fluid Underwater Coastal and oceanic landforms

I am going to be bringing this chapter of my reef keeping journey to a close......NOT out of necessity, but of a PLANNED NEXT CHAPTER.

Initially I chose to go down the 'softies' route admittedly out of the thought, 'THIS will be the easiest of the Coral groups to keep'. And it is, no doubt. Takes skills that need to be learned, but still compared to the 'Pretty colored Rocks', it's MUCH EASIER.
I'm opting against a 'Mix of Coral types', once again to make it easier on myself. I know you can 'do it', but it's a sacrifice to all of them......pushing the upper and lower limits on each group.....a 'balancing act'.

I'm going to try my hand with SPS (Soft Polyp Stony Corals).....'Pretty Colored Rocks' as us softies keepers call them.

I will be shutting down this system, and relocating all my Corals, Fish, and live rock to a good home...yet to be established. I am going to be starting fresh with a clean slate.
ALSO will be severally down sizing, also to yet be determined, but no more than a 90 gallon tank, and perhaps in the 60'ish to said 90 gallon size.

Frees up much more room in my fish room, which now is TIGHT......and I don't require 210 gallons. I lean more towards the Corals, than I do Fish...in fact I think there's only 7 Fish in this system, and most are small.
I can picture I'll go the small Gobbie/Blennie route once again,

A lot of folks just call it quits, crash, or have to shut down/move out of necessity. I want this to be a gradual, PLANNED UN-BUILD thread. A 'learning experience' for me, and hopefully others.

When I am ready with a empty area and ready for the new tank, I will start a 'build thread' for it...I want this to be a stand alone entity.

STAY TUNED FOLKS......this will be 'a happening'.
Peace,
Hack

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Rick, I thought about you and a few others.....,.and if'n it was justr as simple as getting 'THIS from here to THERE', shake hands and share a cup of joe.....would in a heart beat.

But fear this will be a lengthy, and probably more so than I realize, emptying this out, and tearing it down.
The Corals and Fish I can see going to my lfs, and hopefully with a decent store credit......Probably from their standpoint several Thousand dollars worth of stuff to sell. I thinking the tank and stand would keep me happy with John.
But the Live rock......the pieces not covered in Corals will be a thought? I could 'cook them' and store em, give to someone. But there'll not be going in my new system.

Tell Ya what though.....I'll be on my 'winter break' for a few months, and I have a van....,.,..just how ambitious of a sort are Ya? 🤔 🤨😁
Hack

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually Rick, and anyone else who has found themselves thinking.... 🤔 ...'.how stupid would this be'....
I just googled Toronto with my map quest thingy, and said 8 hrs, 19 mins.

My biggest concern was 'time for the Corals to travel'. Automatically think 'over night shipping.....THAT'S A LOT OF CORALS and ROCK.....probably 200+lbs.

At 8-12 hrs. travel time.....THIS falls into the category of 'NOT THE STUPIDEST THING THE HACK HAS EVER DONE'...🤔..NOT by a long shot!

Keep in mind Folks, if travel is withing a day, this could be negotiated. Personally I wouldn't want anything out of the deal, and probably would enjoy the trip.
Hack

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May be being silly here, BUT....I can picture a few totes with water covering the Corals and rocks, and traveling for said, hmmmmmmm. perhaps up to 18 hrs'ish.....Meeting up with a person with a tank already ste up, and cycled water in it, all ready to except the Corals when I get there.
The mind grows n thrives on goofy thoughts.
Hack

·
Premium Member
25,265 Posts
Be surprised how well fish and corals will travel, we took 3 days going from Wichita to Baton Rouge with a bunch of Rick, fish and coral. In five gallon buckets with lids not on tight, the movement of the water from the car was enough to have surface movement to oxygenate the water then at night brought in hotel room and put small power head or air stones.
Rock is even easier

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THAT right there folks is what's refereed to as HELPFUL! THANKS Vinnie.......I would far rather see a private party that cares about these things get blessed than someone, who's bottom line at the end of the day is to make a buck.

I know I ship softies 2-3 day priority mail, and with the exception.....BIG EXCEPTION.....for this past summer, never had issues.
Hack

·
Administrator
47,197 Posts
I see 2 problems, 1 being coronanoia and 2 being customs. Have made a few cross border raids and trades but into BC years before disease was an issue. Things to look into

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
262 Posts
Yeah, importing livestock is very tricky. We would have to check that from both sides. My passport isn’t current so I won’t be going down there any time soon. I would 100% work something out like pay your gas or something if you really do want to come to Canada…in the freaking winter….

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MAN.......yeah, yeah....,technicalities...... 🤔 😁
I keep forgetting that little detail like 'we're i\living in STUPID TIMES'.
Hack

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
g if you really do want to come to Canada…in the freaking winter….
Y'All get that there white stuff up there don't cha?. Can't remember what it's called......seem to remember a LONG TIME AGO we use to also?
Hack

·
Registered
262 Posts
Y'All get that there white stuff up there don't cha?. Can't remember what it's called......seem to remember a LONG TIME AGO we use to also?
Hack
I call it snow for the first two storms, after that I call it many things I can’t type here. I love a good snow storm…sorry, A good snow storm.

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When did Y'All see snow down in Louisiana?
Hack

·
Registered
262 Posts
I love a good storm period. I am usually on the porch if there is something whipping up. Vinnie would not recognize it as a storm though.

·
16,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never lived Where'd there was real snow Vinnie. Born n bread right here in Southern NJ.......travels all over the world on Uncle Sam's coat, but he saw fit to keep me in the tropics.

There'd been 2-3' storms nail us.....mostly coming up the coast from the South of all things. But in recent years, I'd say perhaps 10'ish, snows measured in 1 inch at a time......BLIZZARDS nowadays is considered around 6" as long as there's wind.

It might not be 'changing', but it sure looks different.
Hack

·
Premium Member
25,265 Posts
The winter of 93/94 New York and Jersey and that whole area got slammed, I was driving tractor trailers at that time . Also the big ice storm of 94 in Tennessee, Kentucky-and other nearby states. Now driving in that is something else. I drove 48 states.

fun times

we know how to get off track, lol

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,883 Posts
I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm looking forward to this new chapter in your Reefing life Hack! With SPS stability is the key to success, and it's definitely worth a little investment up front to have quality equipment that is reliable, and is maintained on a set schedule so it lasts a long time. It doesn't need to be complicated, and it doesn't need to be expensive, but sometimes even a change for the better can look like it made things worse for the first couple weeks so changes, and changing parameters are your enemy.

Things that really help:
Auto-Topoff to keep Salinity stable.
Dual Channel Temp controller (heat and cool, cool side can be fans). To keep temp within a degree or two.
Doser for Alk/Mag/Ca - My alk will drop 2 DKH per day,.. dosing twice per day isn't even good enough to call it stable IMHO.
RO/DI system so Water changes are easier, and you can control the quality of your water.

You can use the cheap dosers for dosing (under $100 as memory serves). You can use a $10 mechanical float switch with a gravity fed line that goes to a Rubbermaid bin and it's a functional ATO. You can use a industry Temp controller for $35, but having these things will really help you in the long run.

Also,.. I already have SPS I could frag, and as memory serves I don't think you are that far from me these days.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 93 Posts