The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for about a year now my 15 gallons power head has pretty much died out. it still works but it has a very very low flow, maybe just 50 gph comes out.
i think it started out as 200 gph.
ive been wanting to replace it but im worried my now comfy corals will blow away in a sudden higher outflow.
corals are mushrooms (some are in the sand kinda loose) pearl bubble coral, several zoa rocks, kenya tree, candycane, and star polyps.
i have zero algae even though i have a dead spot (place where the loose mushrooms gathered)

i dunno what to do...im kinda afraid that if i get a new power head my shrooms will fly all over the place
the power head id like to get is a koralia nano, 260 gph i believe

should i just leave things the way they are?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
You could try out a Maxijet
<TABLE class=aquarium_content width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years from date of purchase. </TD><TD vAlign=top>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" colSpan=2 height=7>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE class=aquarium_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TH class="">Model</TH><TH class="">V/Hz</TH><TH class="">Wattage</TH><TH class="">Max Flow</TH><TH class="">Max Pumping Height</TH><TH class="">Dimensions</TH></TR><TR><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">MP400 </TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">120V/60Hz</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">5W</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">106gph (400lph)</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">29"</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">3.5" L x 2" W x 3.00" H</TD></TR><TR class=alternate><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">MP600 </TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">120V/60Hz</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">7.5W</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">160gph (600lph)</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">53"</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">3.5" L x 2" W x 3.00" H</TD></TR><TR><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">MP900 </TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">120V/60Hz</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">8.5W</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">230gph (870lph)</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">46"</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H</TD></TR><TR class=alternate><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">MP1200 </TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">120V/60Hz</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">20W</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">295gph (1110lph)</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">69"</TD><TD class="" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>Note: The dimensions do not include any attachment or suction cups. </TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE class=aquarium_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TH class=product_id noWrap>Item #</TH><TH class=description>Description</TH><TH class=price>Price</TH><TH class=buy_link></TH></TR><TR><TD class=product_id style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">AS1111</TD><TD class=description style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">Maxi-Jet 400 Powerhead / MP 400</TD><TD class=price style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: right">$12.95</TD><TD class=buy_link style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AddItem~idProduct~AS1111.html</TD></TR><TR class=alternate><TD class=product_id style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">AS1113</TD><TD class=description style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">Maxi-Jet 600 Powerhead / MP 600</TD><TD class=price style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: right">$14.95</TD><TD class=buy_link style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AddItem~idProduct~AS1113.html</TD></TR><TR><TD class=product_id style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">AS1115</TD><TD class=description style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">Maxi-Jet 900 Powerhead / MP 900</TD><TD class=price style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: right">$16.95</TD><TD class=buy_link style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AddItem~idProduct~AS1115.html</TD></TR><TR class=alternate><TD class=product_id style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">AS1117</TD><TD class=description style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead / MP 1200</TD><TD class=price style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: right">$18.95</TD><TD class=buy_link style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AddItem~idProduct~AS1117.html</TD></TR><TR><TD class=product_id style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">AS1121</TD><TD class=description style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; TEXT-ALIGN: left">Suction Cups for Maxi-Jet Powerheads</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
JMO
Brent.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats the one i have now...it must be the 160 gph one, it has so much coralline on it i cant read it anymore :)

maybe getting 106 gph the smallest one would be my best bet?

the koralia's are too strong huh?

·
11,345 Posts
Not to be disagreeable...but I disagree. :biggrin:

comparing maxijets to the koralia is apples and oranges in a sense. The thing with MJ's is they have this little tiny outlet that gives them a ton of velocity for a little amoount of flow.......the koralias have a wider stream so if you were to put your hand in front of it, it wont FEEL like more flow...but it is more, wider, better flow. I say get the koralia and you will be happy. jmo

the koralia has much more directional options as well so you can direct it where you want with ease so if it does end up being too much, which i dont think it will, you can just aim it towards the surface a little to help with gas exhange and get extra benefit out of it

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh i got the maxi jet 106 gph in my shopping cart but i didnt check out yet.

what you say about the koralia's makes sense

i wonder if i just clean the maxi jet it will work again lol...but its so icky, all these little crusty spirobid worms yuck!

well the koralia is on back order on fosters n smith, but yeah i think i'll go with that...whats the worst that could happen?

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could probably take the existing power head out and run it in vinager over night and have it clean as new :)

Other than that I agree with Fly Guy,.. I would take the Korilla over the MJ,.. it's much more useable flow.

Whiskey

okee the koralia it is :D

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
If you have a bit more money, you could also look into the tunze nanostream. They are smaller than the koralia, and in a small tank, size might be an issue. Koralia is coming out with a nano version too that puts out something like 200 gph.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a bit more money, you could also look into the tunze nanostream. They are smaller than the koralia, and in a small tank, size might be an issue. Koralia is coming out with a nano version too that puts out something like 200 gph.
i looked up the tunze nano stream, its very compact and nice, its flow might be too much though, 660 gph?? yikes! i may blow out a clown with that one :rotflmao:

yes the koralia nano thats the one, its on back order now at dr. fosters, its due in stock late sept.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would first try soaking the PH you have in vinegar overnight and see how it works after that before spending more money. unless you just want to buy something new. :D

G~

just plain white vinegar? then rinse it well? what if a lil vinegar leaches back in the tank??? :eek:

·
11,345 Posts
just plain white vinegar? then rinse it well? what if a lil vinegar leaches back in the tank??? :eek:

rinse it until it doesnt smell ;)

All pumps should be cleaned in vinegar every 3-6 months. If you are just doing it for routine maintenance and not because the thing seized up all you have to do it drop it in a 5 gallon bucket of water and vinegar 4 to 1 and let it run overnight. It is much better on all pumps. I have a sump set up that is plumbed so Ic an run all of my pumps like this, including the external ones.

Im willing to be the pump will work just fine once cleaned....but Im also willing to bet that you and your tank will be happier with the more flow and not any more velocity that the koralia will give you :)

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
How much rock do you have in the tank? the koralia's are much larger than the Maxi's, i run both in my tank, So size is a matter. jmo
Brent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts