The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CBS is missing one of its large claws.
Anyone have an idea what could do this?
There are no other preditors in the tank that I know of. Only a couple of clown fish, tangs, fire fish, chromis, coral beauty, some sps and lps corals, a small bubble, and large tenticle anome. I suspect the anome. Would that take a CBS claw?

·
Reef-a-holic
191 Posts
I doubt anything took it...this happens fairly often. Don't worry it will grow back. Most of the time its due to stress, how long have you had him?

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
They can even remove them on their own. There is a video on youtube of a CBS literally taking off its claw and handing it to the mantis shrimp that was attacking it. Sadly, it was a temporary respite as the mantis came back for seconds later.

·
$ The Poor Reefer $
581 Posts
Yep! Mine degree his in a couple months. You'd have no idea he was missing it now ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Mine got his back his next molt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it will grow back, just curious why it would loose it. I have had the CBS now for about a year

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

it is not unusual for any critter that molts to loose limbs during the process. if you saw a molt in the tank, then i would bet it lost it during the molt.

have you been doing water changes regularly? molting requires a fair amount of those trace elements. it is important to keep water changes up in order to keep the elemental composition up. i do not suggest supplementing anything that you do not have a test kit for. this is why water changes are so important. they replace the elements in the correct balance.

G~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts