The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah, this stand was too detailed, and required too many joints for me to stain it. it could have been done, but i decided to go with paint this time, so i could spackle the screws and imperfections in the wood., and it will all match up better with paint. staining would have required all the wood going in the same direction (i prefer it that way) so, i skipped the stain :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Looking awesome Jay. Ive been racking my brain trying to decide how i can do this with stain, but having the front removable, and not having exposed plywood. I am leaning towards solid wood boards, and routed edges....but that is kinda intimidating. Might use solid wood with nice trim, and a few decrative panels.

BTW
Slow down Jay, I can't keep up. Heck you are 10 steps ahead of me as it is.....luckily I believe you have some drilling and various other items that will slow you down some.

As it is it looks like my stand will be delayed. As soon as I get off work tonight I am going to go to the hospital. I have been having chest and abdominal pains since Friday night, nothing has helped, and it has only gotten worse. If you don't here from me for a few days its not because I have given up on reefing again.

I was going to wait till Monday and go to the doctor until I realized it was Memorial day.....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Jay it looks nice. I have never thought about painting anything for my tanks ever but it is a good idea now that I think about it. I'll tell ya what why don't ya come up to pa and make a hood for my tank. In exchange i'll show you how to build using dowels and biscuit joints to lessen the amount of screw or any thing else that would hinder you to stain the wood.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
seamonkey when my probation officer lets me leave the state, i'd be happy to build a hood for ya :funny:

ya, i really wanted to do biscuit joints on this, i know its so much sturdier too. but i feared trying to do them with a 5year old black and decker circular saw.

my grandfather used to build furniture, and i took woodshop for 3 years, so i'm familiar with doing it, but it was all on a table saw... next suummer i intend to finally get one.

Dave, dont owrry, you'll catch up. i still have plumbing to buy, overflow to build, baffles to put in the sump, a return pump, rock, more salt. it's gonna be a while still :(

dude, i really hope everything turns out ok at the hospitol. chest pains are no laughing matter, i know. ( i had three heart attacks at 25) PLEASE keep us informed!

sorry buzz, i haven't forgotton, i've just been busy with this thing, i'm still here for ya on that project.

·
Administrator
48,732 Posts
JAy what color will it end up being? Mine is gloss black and it looks OK but after I did it I saw really nice white one that in a room with lights out cept the tank, the stand and canopy is very ethereal against the white walls, and just sort of floated. I can see that with the eposed fuge :D
Dave hope that turns out OK man.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i havent quite decided yet doug. i'm leaning towards a white or off white with black trim. i considered black, but then voted against it because i thought it would dwarf the stand. and i'm thinking some sort of white would make the tanks appear larger than they are, and not quite so small in the stand.

i have light blue walls, so i'm almost thinking about white with light blue trim to match the walls. but i'm painting the backs of the tanks black, so i may stick with the black trim.

thanks coralkeeper!

·
Registered
778 Posts
how about bananna yellow with neon light trimming? or porsche red and with some diamond plated sheet aluminium trimming, now, that would look BAD wrASSe!
:cool:

·
Registered
537 Posts
porsche red = Guards Red.. The MH will turn it orange in 5 years:D

That stand is looking better and better each day! Who do you have doing the work on it?:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.