The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g mixed reef with a reasonable amount of soft,lps, and sps and until late my sps started developing tissue necrosis.

I run carbon and chemipure in my sump. carbon changed monthly and chemipure every three(the container says to run it for 6 so i do half)
I run gfo at about 80 gph.

my specs will be updated in my signature tonight or tomorrow i have been testing but not updating my spec thread. the readings have been constant. Alk only shifts .3 dkh in a week max. calcium can swing 20 ppm in a week to two weeks. mag barely ever changes.

I recently converted to leds but the problems were there before hand.

last itime i checked
Amm 0
Nitra 0
Nitri 0
Phos 0
ph 8.4
temp 76 pretty steady

I am putting stress on the chemicals my softies realease. I have two large kenyas one bigger than a softball and the other slightly smaller.

I have a decent size colony of anthelia too.

I just want to have sps but I have a feeling that i have to lose some soft corals or sps to make this work.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now not all sps are affected some have great PE and my montis(cap, digis) are affected two birdsnest frags, and one acro very slowly dying back i will break out the dremel tomorrow to cut back the areas affected.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just thought about it i just changed my halide bulbs a month ago but they were cheap ebay bulbs. might that be the problem.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Changed from or to the cheap Ebay bulbs?

Lighting issues (like bleaching) usually go from the top downward.

Alkalinity levels are one cause that has been suggested for base up STN. I think that it's low levels that are typically blamed for the problem.

Phosphate wicking from the liverock is another suspected cause. Although I've never been a big believer in this one having seen it occur on SPS that are only on frag plugs that make no direct contact with the rock.

Shading can be another reason. As SPS grow and branch outward, the base can become shaded from the light. This may result in some loss of color or even dieoff in areas.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They were changed to the eBay bulbs but. I swapped out my whole light setup to leds. I found a setting with the dimmers that the corals are responsive too and I use my bta as a gauge he isn't reaching for light or hiding from it he is right where he was with the halides.

I have to do a water change later so I will post my levels probably tonight.

Yeah I don't see how the phosphate leaching from the LR could be it all of the corals are on plugs or rubblerock.

My all hasn't been low I try to keep it between 9-10 but closer to 9.

Well the one frag I have I will take the dremel to the edges to help prevent further loss.

I only have small all purpose disks for my dremel are those OK to use? Or should I go about it another way?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
If you shop around, you can find small diamond wheel cutoff blades for your dremel. You will get a thinner, cleaner cut with them. The abrasive cutoff wheels will work in a pinch but the diamond ones are better.

LEDs and SPS are a mixed bag. I've seen numerous people switch back to halides or T5HO after trying LEDs for awhile. It seems to vary by particular fixture and system.

I'll wait until you post your specs after the water change for further thoughts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I recently experienced this when my nitrates got out of control.

I know you stated that you have 0 the last time you checked, but when was the last time you checked?

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK levels are

Salinity 1.025
Temp 76
Ammonia. 0
Nitrite. 0
nitrate. 0
Phosphate. 0
alk. 9.8 dkh
calcium 460
may 1380

My frag tank needed a thorough once over I had little pieces of cheato under the the main grouping that was just collecting detritus. I have been slacking lately. Not that I was skipping routine but that I was just going through with the motions.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alk and calcium are higher than I like. Last week the alk was 9.6 and the calcium was at 440 and I still like it a little lower than that.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So do you think dropping my calcium will help. I read the article and it makes sense though I am not a chemist. If I am understanding correctly I should be around 410 ppm for calcium or with alk around 10 dkh. Or with calcium of 460 the all should be about 12. Right

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I'm not a chemist either but maintaining a balance between the two makes sense.

Either raising the alk or lowering the calcium would accomplish this. I would lower the calcium to bring it in line with your current alk level.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is what i am doing. I figure getting closer to levels in ocean water will only help wild or maricultured pieces.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok Calcium is at 410 and alk at 9.8 dkh

and the tissue necrosis is slowing i also did a little grinding on the frag but i think some of it got past me and i will be grinding again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts