The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no room for a refugium for my 90 gal. I am wondering what the disadvantages of growing caulerpa in the main tank would be. Besides trimming and esthetics, will it hurt corals and other things in the tank?

Thank you

Markus

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i dont think it can hurt corals, but that macro can become a pest, in the right circumstances, it can "go sexual" and breed really fast and take over your tank, in that case it can hurt your whole ecosystem, i use cheato, but its not as appealing visually, so i doubt you would want to put it in your tank, but there may be many others that would work, maybe someone else can help with that, but i would reccomend the caulerpa.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Caulerpa is EVIL...do not put it in your main display!! I have no idea how it even got in my main tank but it's there and overgrowing everything eventhough I pull it off daily. If you really need to put something in your main tank put some chaeto balled up in the corner instead.

Level it kinda of can harm your corals when it start taking over everything and smothering them.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
seshapir said:
Level it kinda of can harm your corals when it start taking over everything and smothering them.
thats what i meant when i said it will mess up your system if it goes sexual.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Dont ever put it in your main display it even ruins rocks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anything else that I could put in there besides chaeto?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
if you really want, you can easily get a HOB fuge, or if you have any kind of chamber in your sump, jam some in it, throw a light down there, you can put it in the intake chamber, or anyothers that dont contain pumps, it shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about acrosorium?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or Gracilaria?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had caulerpa in my tank. It drove me crazy!!! finally got rid of it by pulling most of it out and my powder blue tang took care of the rest.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i let my LR sit out on the front deck for 7 months just to get rid of some razor Caleurpa. do not put it anywhere near your system. it will find its way into the display. Gracilaria is a good choice. halimeda is another good choice it still can Holocarpy on you, but it is not near as often as Caleurpa.

G~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts