The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if adding caulerpa shortens the cycle time of a new tank? Also, since I've heard caulerpa can metabolize ammonia directly, can it screw up the cycle in any way?

·
Registered
808 Posts
i may not be right person to answer this but here.
caulpera removes nutrients in the water (eg nitrates). in new water (pure ro/di) there is nothing in it. it seems like without nutrients that it would starve. to help the tank cycle you should add bacteria. some add live rock, some add a shrimp from the grocery store. or take the long way out and just wait.

hth

Brandon & Kelly

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have to agree with Brandon & Kelly. I would wait till the tank cycles to add any macroalgae to the system. It is really beneficial only at the end of the Nitrogen cycle and will help to absorb the leftover nitrates and other nutrients.

Test the water every day or so during the cycle and you should see an ammonia peak, then nitrite peak then nitrates. This process usually takes about six weeks or so. The tank will initially cycle just fine with LR.

From Simplified Reefkeeping
Buy all or most of the liverock first
Cycle the liverock - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate so you get a zero ammonia and nitrite (1st cycle)
next add all or most of the invertebrates - Cycle ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (2st cycle much smaller)
next add all or most of the corals - Cycle ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (3rd cycle less than the second)
next add all or most of the fish - Cycle ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (4 th cycle )
the key is to add and have the liverock cycle first, inverts second, corals, third and fish last

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Brandon and Kelly, and Sammy are correct. However I will say that adding calurapa isn't neccessary a bad thing. Especially if it is full of critters. It can and will help seed your live rock and sand but don't be disappointed it starts to die off. A lot of times it will, then come right back when you least expect it. Besides, I think there are enough people here that would be more than happy to give you some calurpa from our refugiums.

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.