The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing today and caught 2 catfish 4 brim 1 stapping turtle and a 6 foot gator. Needless to say the turtle and the gator went back. I hoped if the gator fought hard enough he'd break free of the line:eek: Unfortunatly he was getting to close for comfort and I cut the line. Now on this same pole and line I got a bass that was about 40 lbs(according to the hubby) and he broke the line:mad: Go figure!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah wish I took my phone. Last time I took my phone out on the boat with me it went swimming. Didn't want a repeat but man I wish I had a pic!

·
11,345 Posts
jenajet said:
Yeah wish I took my phone. Last time I took my phone out on the boat with me it went swimming. Didn't want a repeat but man I wish I had a pic!
I woudl have let it bite me in the arm for show and tell!!!!

Thats crazy. Was it a fair hook?????I.E. did you actually hit your line??? Either way its cool, but being a pretty hardcore flyfisherman it would seem cooler to us self rightious snobby type ;) if he intentionally hit your lure or whatever. Actually, i was just curious...........Either way...that IS too bad you didnt have a camera.....thats one for the scrapbook.

One of my favorite pics is of aan old fishing buddy and a very large bull trout that got kind of away on him when he was posing for a pic, large teeth scraped across his nose and face so when he finally got it under control and i finally got the pic off there is a considerable amouont of blood running down his face and there is really no doubt where it came from.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
WOW! Jena, what kind of bait were you using?? :worm:

Good thing you let him go, the catfish and bream would not have gotten along with the gator in the live well!! :D

Never caught a gator but did catch a water moccasin on a top-water plug down in Florida! I didn't keep him, either!

Dick:)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope this guy got the hook and all. I was fishing with worms. They were live neon green worms.(That was a first too and big like night crawlers) I think it was my bobber he was after but got the hook instead. He swam faster than I could pull it in.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have a lake very near by me, I go fishing ther every night wheather permitting.
I average about 15 lb. carp every few nights. Record is 32. 8 lbs Carp and 20.1 lb catfish. ALL go back into the lake.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
For bait, I use homemade boiles, which is cornmeal , flour, egg, bradcrumbs, grund birdssed, and jelly mixed into a dough and boiled for 90 seconds into individual baits. Works like a charm. Wonder bread is occasionally used to float on the surface when the carp come close to shore to spawn.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I caught a duck once, and he started flying away. It was just like kite flying:)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've never been able to catch anything interesting, just a sunburn, cold or the flu. Sounds like a fishing trip that will be well remembered.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep had a blast. And can you believe people were actually skiing and tubing on this lake? Looked like gator bait to me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was salmon fishing in the ocean once, back in the day. Was reeling in the sockeye salmon that I had just caught. A **** seal grabbed onto the fish and wouldn't let go. It finally bent the hook and got my fish!!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that would be cool. Good thing a whale wasn't after the seal!

·
Administrator
46,842 Posts
Had an Orca eat a salmon I caught in Puget Sound when I was a kid, I thought it was COOL, my dad and his budy that owned the boat were freaked out and we headed in :(

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love orca. Made me want to be a marine biologist. Joined the navy out of high school, to help pay tuition, got the application in was excepted, then met my soul mate, got married, had kids, never got around to going. Maybe why I am hooked on reefing.

You know it's time to go to bed when you have to edit the same post 3 times!

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I caught 25 lbs stripped bass once, That is about the biggest and most fun fishing I have done. Was more fun then fly fishing in the northern new mexico.And the fly fishing was fun. I was being paided for work on both of these fishing trips.LOL

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I caught 25 lbs stripped bass once, That is about the biggest and most fun fishing I have done.
I caught one that was 35 inches long, and at the time, the minimum was 36, so the boat owner threw it back before I even got to touch it!! :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts