The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I have a hitchhiker that I can't find. I thought I knew what rock he was in, but I removed it and then couldn't find him. I am losing fish almost daily. I was told to place a glass with some bait at the bottom, and he should not be able to make it out of the glass. Well so far, no luck. Any other traps or suggestions? I really don't want to take all of the rock out piece by piece.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First if your crab is so small you can not find it, It is doubtful it is killing fish almost daily.

You can pull your rock out and put it in a pail of fresh water, one piece at a time. Most crabs will come out in a matter of seconds. Remove the rock and put it back; the crab will be in the pail. This will not hurt very much on the rock other than sponges.

Ray

·
Registered
16 Posts
Darkfrog,
Sorry to hear about your losses. I had a small hitchhiker crab come into my tank. He must have been in the tank for close to a year before I knew he was there. One day I saw him and tried (half-heartedly) to get him out (he was so small and cute looking), I couldn't get him out of the barnacle that he was in and really didn't want to kill him, so I put the barnacle with crab back in th tank (big mistake). After a few months of watching him grow, I was becoming more concerned but still did not remove him.

One morning, my 6-line never showed up for breakfast. After a day or two of searching, I finally found what I think was his tail. The only thing that could have gotten him was that crab (only about the size of a quarter). I then started looking for him in earnest. Eventually, I found him under an old dead bleached out clam shell that I keep in the tank. I pulled the clam shell out of the tank looking for him and almost put it back in the tank because I couldn't find him. Fortunately, I did see him mixed in with some stuck-on sand on the bottom of the shell. I did remove him, then.

Point is, they can be very hard to see AND remove, even if you have the right rock.

regards, fsa

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RayPollett said:
First if your crab is so small you can not find it, It is doubtful it is killing fish almost daily.
Ray
okay, maybe I exagerated some. I am missing a goby and 2 green chromis. The other fish are probably too big for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts