The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. So my 2inch tiger pistol is the prime suspect in 9 murder investigations. Victims include a 3 sexy shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimps, and a pearly jawfish. The 3 sexies, 2 peps, and 1 cleaner just dissapeared overnight after bein happy in the tank for a while. 1 cleaner and the fire shrimp were found dying, twitching on the sand, and so was the jawfish who also had internal bleeding. How do u guys propose trapping/catching him w/o dissasembling my whole tank?

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...he certainly wouldn't be my prime suspect. I've had one for six years in the same tank with cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and fire shrimp and he's never killed a one of them. I suppose it's possible of course.

Have you eliminated all the other possible causes?
Well I was thinking 4 the shrimp there was low iodine levels but the pistol shrimp is perfectly ok. and the bleeding on the jawfish was to symetrical to be from rocks and to much to be from a fish.

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
This video represents my experience with pistols vs fish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlc-jSmX5o&feature=related

It's the goby that protects the shrimp not the shrimp that protects the goby. If you don't have a shrimp goby, I recommend getting one for the pistol shrimp to hang around with.

Is is possible you have a mantis in your tank that you don't know about?

The actual attack from a pistol shrimp's claw is done with the pressure wave created by the action of closing the claw. There are a number of awesome things at work there but in my experience this attack doesn't leave marks.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Internal bleeding? I wish I had the power to diagnose internal bleeding without an xray or MRI. Is there something about jawfish I don't know about and they can show when they are bleeding?

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I figured it was something like that. When I think internal bleeding I think still alive. Didn't mean to come off as an *****|-|ole. Can you see it in all fish or just the more translucent ones?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Set up a trap for the potential creature. Take a large staight-sided glass (cheap one) and superglu a piece of raw shrimp to the bottom. Put it in the tank on the substrate just before the end of the photoperiod so that it is next to the rock so any potentil mantis shrimp or roge crabs can crawl in, but then are trapped there and cannot get out. You'd be surprised at what you'll get... ...don't quit 'till 3 nights of no capture.

This is good to do for fresh LR before putting in fishes as well, good hunting, if you're really curious, set the alarm for 3am and go look with a red-lensed flashlight!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts