The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to catch my niger trigger to move him to another tank. My LFS rented me a trap for this purpose, but so far I have not been successful. I initially baited it with a goldfish (in a plastic bag) and have also tried putting krill in the trap - no luck.

Any other ideas. BTW - this is a reef tank with a ton of LR.

· Registered
127 Posts
i've had success catching my trigger by luring him to the top of the water with squid then scooping him up with a net. If you miss the first time, you'll have to wait a few hours before trying again. It's my surprise attack. :thumbup:

· spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
it can take a long time for the fish to become comfortable investigating the trap. if you've not the patience (which I could understand), doing a quick drain and fill, a hook and line (with the barb removed), or pulling out the rock are other alternatives.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to those of you who have responded. I am going to try again later today. I did consider the sneak attack with the net. However, as was stated, once you miss, you have blown that tactic for a while.

· Registered
127 Posts
one thing I have noticed from my trigger is that when a new item gets placed in the tank, he stays clear of it for a few days. eventually he becomes comfortable enough to swim by and investigate. I would just make sure you're not moving the trap in different places. Good Luck! I feel your pain!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All's well that ends well! Just when I was about to give up on trapping the trigger, he decided to enter the trap searching for food and I got him. It was one last try after the daylights turned off with just the actinics left on. I later safely transported him to my LFS. Thanks to all who responded.:dance:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.