The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I got up this morning and looked for my little blue tang i bought a couple of weeks ago, he was doing really well eating and playing with the other fish, and he had no ick. Found his bones right along side the green carpet anemone.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this. The carpet anemone is very very sticky, like a sticky pad for catching mice!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Registered
314 Posts
wow sorry about the lose, I haven't ran into anything like that

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yep...carpets are hard on the fish population.

We lost Powder Blue's, Salifin's, gobies, and then we removed it from the tank. One of our customers at the shop lost 7 fish in 4 months...I got other stories if you'd like to hear them. Might wanna ask steveweast how he manages to keep carpets and fish.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yup people don't realize that carpet anenomes can and will catch fish!! Sorry to hear of your loss!:(

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Might as well say that the carpets don't take feedings, this is part of their natural diet,. all carpets will eventually capture fishes. Best to keep them in separate systems if you intend to keep fishes, especially if you want to KEEP fishes.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
dermp said:
The carpet anemone is very very sticky, like a sticky pad for catching mice!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM
you got it! they are fish eaters. that stickyness are the nematacysts firing into your fingers. you skin is to thick for them to go through, good for you.:D hopefully you will never have the luck of one firing into an open wound.:eek: that really hurts. these nematacysts deliver poison to the unlucky captured critter. so it can not swim off before being enveloped by the anemone.

G~

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had one big enough to eat my by color angel, talk about a hard way to learn a lesson. tore the tank half way apart before I realized the carpet had been balled up for the better part of a day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:-(

I just bought a blue tang yesterday and woke up this morning and he was gone...i have a bubble anemone and it looked like he was closed up and something was inside of him...I also lost a 6-lined wrass...i think im going to install a camera into my tank to see what actually happens when Im done.
~Sharky B

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was just getting ready to feed my tank and i saw that blue tang just darted into my blue carpet. I got in there with an algae pad and got him free but he is covered in nematacysts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts