The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I found a deal I couldn't refuse on a used 150 gallon tank.

It's six feet long, with nice stand/canopy, and home-made sump. The lights that are coming with it aren't that great...but I've worked out a deal with Rob to trade + a bit of $$ my 3 ft VHOs with his old 4ft VHOs .... and with those on there, supplemented by the other light... I think it will look good ( I can always change it later if needed ).

The guy is draining it today/tomorrow..and going to call me when its ready. It then needs to hang out in my garage for a few days (through Christmas) ... while I sand it down (wish me luck..never done this before)..and repaint it...as the current color (honey maple) won't match my furniture...going to paint it black.

Currently the canopy has three separate pieces on the lid that have knobs on top to lift up...but I'm going to get 1x4s and attach them ...and put them on hinges...so I can attach the VHOs to the canopy.

He did tell me the sump needs a more powerful pump on it..as the other one burned out when he was in the hospital.... not sure if I can just attach a maxijet to this or something...I'm sure Rob will let me know what to do though...

Anyhow... I have a few pics I took of it ( not full tank shots cuz there was no room to get one ) but... enough for a general idea...will post them tonite...have to get some work done....my 1hr lunch turned into a 3hr lunch..heh.

Carole

·
Registered
228 Posts
good for you. A 150 is a good size tank. Is it glass or acrylic? make sure you take lots of pictures along the way. We all wont to see the build.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's glass...

These are the only two pictures I got of it... the guy has a ton of stuff for sale...and it happened to be all piled up in front of the tank... some of it aquarium related and some of it not...

Anyhow...the pics aren't too good..I couldn't get the whole thing because I couldn't stand back far enough..so I took a shot of the corner of the stand..and then of the sump...

After I sand it down, and paint it black..I'm going to get some new hardware for the cabinets...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Interesting sump set up.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That's an old DIY setup. Wet/Dry that had the Bio Chamber that you would set down inside a smallish glass tank and you had a Wet/Dry. :) Good idea at the time and they work just as well as the store bought Wet/Dry setups.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice size tank Carole, six foot length. Kind of wish I would have gone for length with my 150 instead of depth (4 ft length X 30 in depth)
Good luck, you'll enjoy the larger tank.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You should be home with it by now, want to see pics.
Should make for a nice Christmas present.:banana:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pics posted in main forum... not sure what I should do at this point.

I'm doubting the guy will want to give me any money back on this... I've emailed him since it was late...asking about the chip with the silicone over it...

He had it filled w/ rock and water when I looked at it... I don't think he'd have had it filled if it had a leak... but I don't want it to develop one either...

·
Professional Acro killer!
1,131 Posts
We are going to pick it up tonite..I'm so excited..I can barely work :)

I hope two pickup trucks are enough... I don't think the whole thing will fit in an Avalanche...so a friend is going to help us out...
I fit a 180g in our ford explorer. It fit perfectly!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah...he said it was like that when he got it..and he's had it filled up with no problem...he did have it filled up when I looked at it...but I of course didnt' see the back which looked like it had a bit of water damage (which I couldn't see when we picked it up... it was right next to the door..so by the time the back got to where I could see it out the door...we were in the rain...

He didn't offer to refund any money or take it back.. he just said if it needed to be resealed for some reason he'd do that for me...

I'm just not sure I trust filling it up ... and chancing it leaking on my floors...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That really stinks Carole! An honest person would have told you about that upfront. Even if they had forgotten about it he should have offered a refund in full or part and let you decide.

I would not trust a reseal job on a tank. I'd always worry about the floors and my animals in the tank. Would hate to come home and find them desperately trying to swim across carpet.

Sorry you ran across a bum deal. It sounded so good at first.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts