The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process of making my own food for some Corals and Carnivore fish.
After I've chopped/blended everything together, pressed and shaped it down and then frozen it; when I brake a piece off, defrost it, I'm guessing that the piece would fall apart? That would be fine for the Corals but I would like to keep the chunks together to feed to the fish.

Is there a way to keep the fish food together?

Regards,
Tar.

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
why do you want it together? i just let it fall apart into its blended sized nuggets. the object is not to blend it to much. you want some bigger chunks for the fish and some tiny pieces for the corals. just a quick blip on the processor is enough to do that.

G~

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is...

After going through all the fish food recipes, I noticed that everyone uses fish fillet. I have been making home made food or raising food for various pets over the years and when it comes to carnivores, the most important for nutrition is everything but the meat (not that I'm saying the meat is not important).

Bones, eyes, brain, guts, stomach contents and ect...
This is the stuff you want:)

Thats why I went to the fish market and got un-gutted full fish.
In one of the stomachs, I found a gut load of shrimp:) And those shrimp were probably gut loaded too:)

Now to the point of all this:)
Guts don't do chucks very well. So what I did is chop everything up, then blend half of it and mix it all up. I then used the gelatine, put everything on a cokie sheet and put it in the fridge for a day, then froze it.

Now my hope is that when I defrost it, it will stay together!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.