The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13 years old and learning
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i hav a 14 gallon biocube with a pretty low sand bed its been setup for about 4 months and i have live rock 2 clown fish a bangai cardinal a cleaner shrimp and a big cleaner crew. i was thinking on adding more live rock and live carib sea sand that i would buy from my fish store. my question is do i hav 2 take out all my fish before i add the sand, do i hav 2 wash the sand, and can i take the live rock out of my tank without killing all the coralline algae thats been growing on it so i can rearange the rocks after i add the new sand. also i would like 2 know what r some good live rock setups that i could copy in my tank.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
An inch or two of sand is plenty. How deep are you planning on going?

You don't need to wash the bagged live sand. The tank will cloud up but it will clear.

You can place the liverock in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water to keep everything alive. Just do a waterchange on the tank and save the tank water to use for the rock.

·
Cube Keeper
252 Posts
You don't want to rinse the live Carib Sea sand. It will remove a lot of the good stuff that is in it... Adding sand to an established tank is always risky. I would be careful and do it gradually. Pulling the rock out would be fine in a bucket for a couple days. As long as it is circulated and heated. Just remember, don't rinse live sand.

Don

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I honestly dont think there is that much good stuff in those bags; nothing worth saving anyway. I've always rinsed my live sand with tap then with RODI before adding it to a tank. All of the tanks I've setup only went through a very small cycle if any.

You'll probably stress your live stock more by taking all the rocks out and stirring up what’s already there.

·
Cube Keeper
252 Posts
I agree with the last part completely. If you are taking the rock out, take the livestock out too... To be honest, the best thing would probably be to get a rubbermaid, put the live stock in it, add the sand, and leave the live rock in the tank and let it run through the small cycle, then add the livestock back...

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.