The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to use carbon in my sump.

I currently have two sections divided by an over-under baffle setup.

The skimmer is in the first section where the overflow dranis and then the return pump is in the second section.

Should I put the carbon in between the baffles, or in where the overflow empties, or just in with the return pump?

Thanks

Kind of can see here!
 

Attachments

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
Personally, I think in between the baffles would be a great place to help insure the most amount of water flows over the carbon. You just want to make sure that there wouldn't be anyway the baffles could become "clogged" and thus overflowing the sump. Just my two itty bitty 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeremy1973 said:
Personally, I think in between the baffles would be a great place to help insure the most amount of water flows over the carbon. You just want to make sure that there wouldn't be anyway the baffles could become "clogged" and thus overflowing the sump. Just my two itty bitty 2 cents.
That is where I have been keeping it. There is definitly no way of clogging.;) The bag is about a 1/3 the length of the space between the baffles.

Just wasn't sure if it was more effective in w/ the skimmer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deathmatch782 said:
what about putting it so the drain line dumps into it?
Not sure if I have the room to do it. I have seen someone once use the bottom half of a milk jug with holes in it and the bag of carbon in that and then the overflow dumping into it!
 

·
Tang Lover
Joined
·
7,326 Posts
I actually put mine in a sock, and lay the sock RIGHT on top of the sponge covering the mag-7's intake (my return pump). That assures me that almost all the water going through the sump, passes over the carbon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those that have the main flow into the carbon? How often do you rinse or replace it?

As I would imagine it would get dirty rather quickliy right where the water comes into the sump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,426 Posts
110galreef said:
For those that have the main flow into the carbon? How often do you rinse or replace it?

As I would imagine it would get dirty rather quickliy right where the water comes into the sump.
I run Black Dimond, i rinse it out the bag about once a week, change it out about once a month. That's on my 75 gallon.
Brent.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,355 Posts
tablespoonful per 10G in 2 drawstring medi bags, change one of them every 2 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tdwyatt said:
tablespoonful per 10G in 2 drawstring medi bags, change one of them every 2 weeks.
That is it! So in 125 of total water I need ~25 tablespoons.

How many cups is that or rather 1/4 cups??? 25tablespoons = xxcups?:confused:
 

·
Tang Lover
Joined
·
7,326 Posts
I have NO clue what the conversion is! hahaa

My recommendation (what I did)...first time...measure by tablespoons, but put it in a plastic cup or bowl or something. Then measure how many cups/half-cups you have set aside. Next time, it's much quicker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like ~ 1 cup worth. :nuts:

I usually just eyeball that amount!:rolleyes:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top