The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Retired Wanderer
22,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to having dings removed at a place that uses all those funky rods and goes in through the door jam facing part of the door.

Someone told my wife all you need is a piece of dry ice, but she didn't mention who. It always seems like the folks full of all this good advice don't have a nice ride or a house with completed projects.

Has anyone tried the dry ice thing and does it work really well. I have about 15 dings in each door of the Z3 which are all that keeps it from being totally cherry and am prepared to just pay a pro to do it. The BMW dealer gave me the name of who does their cars.

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
IME, just pay the pro ;)

My father in law's cherry 98 Roush got stuck in a minor hailstorm and had about 300 dings across the car (very sad day!) You can't even tell they were ever there, THE best $500 he ever spent he said.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
IME, just pay the pro ;)

My father in law's cherry 98 Roush got stuck in a minor hailstorm and had about 300 dings across the car (very sad day!) You can't even tell they were ever there, THE best $500 he ever spent he said.
500.00 is cheap. I operate my own paintless dent removal company. I charge no less than 1500.00 for a hail car. But unfortunately, we don't get much hail here.

I have heard of dry ice. You will need a heat source also. I have never tried it, I think that it will only work on bigger dents. Form what I understand, normal door dings wont really respond to well.

PM me a pic of the dents.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
The idea with the dry ice is the same idea with heat. If you heat a ding and then quick cool it with water, the dent will contract and "shrink" out. I would guess that freezing it would work in the opposite direction but not sure. It isn't the heat or the cold that does it, its the combination of the two that does it. You heat it, it expands, you chill it, it pops out. Many many hail dents later, thats one of the best tricks I learned from an "old school" bodyman. You just have to be extremely careful with it to not burn the paint.

The main issue with PDR is to make sure they seal the hole they drill. Not just a rubber plug but seal the metal where the hole is drilled. With it being your doors, you shouldn't have that issue but may. All it takes is a little paint on the raw metal and thats it. Let it dry then insert the plug into the hole.

Pay the PDR guy :)

Bodymen have a term for PDR guys but it isn't family friendly :)

Nice work Peanut.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
The main issue with PDR is to make sure they seal the hole they drill.

Bodymen have a term for PDR guys but it isn't family friendly :)

Nice work Peanut.
Thanks for the compliment.

Every hole that I drill gets sealed with paint.

More and more body shops have gotten on the band wagon lately. I have saved more than one body guy after they noticed a dent after the car has been through the spray booth. In fact I have paint on one of my sweatshirts from removing a dent while they were painting the car.

· Registered
334 Posts
From personal experience i perfer the guys who use the "funky rods".

They dont drill holes holes in the car so you dont have to worry about them filling them.

A guy here in California fixed my car with them and i couldnt be happier! Plus it was really cheap IMO he charged 150 per panel no matter how many dents.

· Retired Wanderer
22,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the opinions. All of the dings are fortunately in the doors so I am going to get the paintless guy that does the cars for the Stealer. The Z3 is totally cherry with only 42,000 miles and we hope to keep it forever.

Might try the dry ice and heat on Kermit just for fun though.

· Retired Wanderer
22,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not worried about a hole or two in the door where it rests against the jam. This is a 2001 Z3 and I am never going to worry about matching numbers or the proper screwheads on the inner fender well.

Got a couple of leads on the best guys in town and I'll have them quote it. Thanks for all the good advice!

· Premium Member
7,822 Posts
Mine is Being Done as We Speak....

After seening those pics, I decided to try it. This guy is supposed to be the best in the state, and he MAKES HOUSE CALLS!!! :drool:

· Premium Member
7,822 Posts
Nah...just a ding from the SC trip last year. The BIG one is in the back. A creeper fell off the wall and landed on the car :cry: I thought I was gonna die. ...........

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Man, that would have to suck. At least your getting the ding fixed. That means a new building project in the works. A garage for the beemer all to itself. Can install a water heater, floor drains, and blow dryers. Then you can wash it year round without getting cold :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.