The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks,
I recently just finished cycling my 100 gal tank, but somehow I've been seeing like 3 gorilla crabs dead on my substrate. I read on the forum how to capture them by using the squid in a bottle trap, can anyone tell me how to do it? or is it as simple as it said? put squid in a bottle?:lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have no idea, just did a google search to even see what one was. but check this out, when i did the google search, threads on trt came up second from top. cool.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i had them before. the trap never worked for me. i tried many times with all kinds of food. i had to pull rock and fresh water dip the rock to make them run out.

·
Banned
447 Posts
Depending on how large the crabs are you need to get a plastic bottle like a 0ne liter coke bottle. cut the top off at the shoulder (about 3 to 4 inches down from the top). Invert the top into the bottle and glue cut top into the bottle so the opening is inside the bottle. You place just enough sand in the bottle to weight the bottle down so it will not move when placed on the bottom of your tank. Add some cooked shrimp or squid or other meaty item that the crab will go for and it will crawl inside the trap. It will not be able to get out as the opening is higher than the bottom of the bottom and the side are slippery.

Hope this helps in your quest to capture these crabs, remember when you do catch them you can take them to you local fish store and they should take them off your hands for no cost.

If the coke bottle doesn't work you will need to get a larger bottle but use the same concept.

Good Luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've caught them before by using a shot glass (or any small glass) leaned up against the liverock with a piece of krill in it. They go in after the krill and can't climb out the slick sides of the glass. Works like a charm.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
I've done the cup trick leaned up against a rock but all I catch is hermit crabs and the gorilla crab shy's away. I've been trying for months. Tweezers can work. Ive had the little bugger by the arm but he wouldn't let go of the rock and I was afraid of ripping his arm off so I let him go for the time being. I don't want to kill him because I want him for my sump.

·
Banned
447 Posts
The gorilla crab is also known as the stone crab and the larger crabs fishermen break off one claw and throw the the crab back into the ocean. So I don't think you will kill the little thing. If you plan on placing the crab into your sump, it can grow to be significant in size and become an issue to get rid of down the line. As the black tips begin to develop on the end of the claws they become a protected speicies in the southern waters of our country and you need a special permit to fish them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if i ever catch one i'll send them of to the jakarta sea. I have no problem releasing them back to the wild since its their habitat anyway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts