The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greg, the owner of Captive Bred Corals said he is closing CBC by 7/12 and everything must go.

Last week he received 140 boxes of LR. He’s selling his established LR for $3/lb. This LR is aptasia free since he introduced a basketball-sized batfish about 4 months ago. He’s also receiving a shipment of 300 #s of Fugi LR this week which he’s selling for $5/lb.

Starting this weekend (6/14), he’s taking 10% off of his existing prices ( I don’t think he’ll discount the LR any lower than what is stated above unless someone wants to buy a several boxes). The following week (6/21) he plans on taking another 10% off and the following week another 10%.

He currently has lots of SPSs, s and polyps, but very few LPSs.

He also has lots of hardware like Seaclone and Aqua-C skimmers, European heaters, normal and pc bulbs (not fixtures) for sale as well as substrate.

He also has several 125G tanks including stands (and I think canopies) and a few small tanks.

This week, he also is expecting a large shipment of turbo snails. He already has lots of inverts, snails, crabs.

He also has 1 or 2 turfscrubbers for sale.

He has lots of large fish available and some small ones (eg gobbies). I can’t remember them all.

CBC is open Thurs, Fri and Sat. If you call ahead, they are willing to open early or stay late on Saturdays. CBC’s phone # is 1-877-229-3405 (eastern time).

Greg's spoken to the Tennessee Aquarium and since they have expressed an interest, he won’t be giving the stuff away. However, I’ve always found his prices to be very reasonable and since he’s dropping his prices, they are going to be very tempting and probably won't last long.

An internet merchandiser has already agreed to buy his display/retail tanks and nearly all of his 400 watt MH lighting.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Man, I wanted to get up there sometime and see their set up.... I guess if I want to go, it will have to be VERY soon! Sorry to see CBC isnt staying open. :(

·
Registered
802 Posts
map to CBC

folks CBC is a bit difficult to find. If anyone wants to meet me at my house "early" Sat AM we could make a road trip. I have an expedition so I can carry a few folks.

I tried to atach a map from Map Quest but It didn't work. Someone want to tell me how to do this. Do I need to save it to my website per se and then attach it to this message. I tried just attaching from my desktop.:idea:

Here's some directions:

Get on I-75 N.

Merge onto TN-153 N via exit number 4- on the left- toward AIRPORT. 11.29 miles

Turn LEFT onto GOTHARD RD. 0.19 miles

Turn LEFT onto GRUBB RD. 0.01 miles

Turn RIGHT onto DOWLEN RD. 0.49 miles

Turn RIGHT onto DAYTON BLVD. 0.22 miles

hope this helps - Dale

·
Registered
173 Posts
Going Thursday

Hi,
I live in Birmingham and my wife and I were planning a trip to the aquarium tomorrow(Thursday) anyway. Can anyone tell me the hours of operation, I tried the phone number this morning, but no answer.

I came to the Borneman seminar last year and I really enjoyed the hospitality. Thanks to Jenn for her helpfulness! My brother and I are going to try to make the July meeting, and join, since the membership is reasonable, and ATL is not that far.

I am mainly looking for live rock, and possibly another halide setup.

Thanks for any info you can give me!
David West

·
Registered
173 Posts
Went Thursday, that is why I am on here so late. They are getting their last shipment tomorrow. Had a very good experience. Place looks like a discount mattress outlet, so it is easy to miss. Thanks for the driving directions, right on the money!
Lucked out and got a piece of rock with two adult Berghias on it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I put them in their own tank with no current just an airstone. I have arranged to get a good supply of aiptasia, so we will see how it goes!
David

·
Registered
802 Posts
nothing except rock left - CBC

folks, just got back from CBC. I had the pleasure of dealing with Ryan who if off soon to study Marine Biology.

If you're making a trip for sps, lps, zoo's, macro etc... there are very little if any left. Most of the choice stuff is now gone or Greg is taking it home. Plenty of LR left but nothing in my opinion of great color and there is plenty of aptaisa on most pieces in the back rooms.

They have some nice size fish that are eating well. A beautiful large Disjarden Tang is available. I had it already bagged and paid for it and then Greg told Ryan that he charged me way too little for it (and offered me the new price of $80 more than what we had agreed to). So needless to say if you want a really super fish at a price more than I was willing to pay (I mean pay again for):eek: Then you ought to go see it.

Anything from the back room corals and shrooms are covered with red planaria so be awfully carefull if you buy and don't remove them (shake em off in a bucket of water and rub if you can)

If you have any other questions feel free to give me a call at 706-217-2649. I wouldn't make a long trip to go out there unless you call them and check the availability abd specifics of what you want.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Red Planaria

Phishstick,
What is red planaria? I know this is a moot point at this time since what I bought is in my tank, but I would like to know what to look for if it is detrimental. I called them to get more info on the Berghia and they never called me back. You are right, the nicest pieces of coral I was looking at, I was informed that Greg was taking them home.
Les the gentleman who helped me was very nice, but Greg walked around the with a scowl on his face like a moray eel. Shutting down your business is no excuse for poor service. I do not know if you saw it, but I bought the fat coral beauty that they had. It has pretty much taken to running my tank which is fine, but I did pay too much, 65$. What can I say I have always wanted one, and that was the best specimen I have ever seen in person. Fat as can be, but she has not started eating for me, other than the small sponges growing on my live rock.(Any suggestions there would be helpful.)
Other than that fish I got what I would call good deals, but I am afraid that if Greg had been there the whole time I would have went home with a lot less stuff.
The really cool rock that my Berghia came on had worms all on it, as well as baby serpent stars all in its crevices, very interesting.
I also got a piece of gulf rock with a sea squirt on it and it seems to be doing well.
Anyway, enough rambling, if you have made it through my entire reply then I would appreciate any thoughts on the points I have included.
Thoughtfully,
David

·
Registered
802 Posts
David, as far as getting something to eat ... I have no good Ideas. I've nevet been that lucky, so what I have learned to do, through too much trial and error, is to always have the fish feed at the store and if it eats, buy it and buy that food they feed it with. If it wont eat DON'T buy it regardless of the temptation. Jenn may be able to respond better to that question for you.

Now Red Planaria, is a nasty flatworm that multiplies quite quickly under high nutrient conditions (and probably under any condition). They won't really hurt your tank, but will cover everything and look awful. Mandarins (only keep one in your tank or a mated pair) and six lines will help. There is a nudibranch (sp?) pictured on my website that goes nuts over them. Can't remember their name right off.

Beghia's will get lost quickly in a tank and will find your powerhead intakes and system overflows more often than not. You'll need low flow conditions for them to survive.

Some good articles are out there, so do some surfing and you'll find info on both topics. good luck! (if you need more help after searching, I can do a little more digging for you)

As far as a reply from CBC by phone... forget it :smile:

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Hi Yall, I missed Dale by Minutes and Ran into Daniel. We worked with Les and probably got about 20-30 frags and pieces for about a 100 bucks, and my first Trocea Clam(SP?). I was very surprised at their setup and realized they had almost no SPS corals. (Dale got the last but left two), So Lisa go her wish and picked up probably 15-20 mushroom frags to build her mushroom rocks.
As far as the planara goes, I did a freshwater dip on my rocks, with the exception of the clam. I do have a mandarin, and proabably will buy Lisa a six line wrasse to combat any that may have gotten away. Will Red Headed Gobies eat them?

Yes, I can understand the service problems but of course I would not be able to condone much of it. The two guys that were there (Greg was taking stuff home apparrently) were running ragged.

Ray

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Will,

You ought to see Lisa's. She got her some leathers, a rasta and a finger, and she got tons of those single mushrooms in various holes all over the live rock. Two new candy canes . She is running of room.

Ray

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Will, $65 for a coral beauty :bigeek: ????!!!!!!!!!! (self-deleted....against forum rules...)

The advice above is good - always see a fish eat before it goes home, no matter where you buy it. I've walked away from specimens in shops that were fat and healthy but if they won't eat prepared fare, they are a bad risk. Always ask to feed, do not be shy to do this, and if the shop personnel won't feed it for you, then run, don't walk, out the door.

As to the one you bought - try some PE Mysis. Piscine Energetics (or PE) is the best brand, the mysis are whole and very much resemble a living shrimp, and even the fussiest of fish will usually take them - I even get seahorses and pipefishes to eat them.

I can only imagine the stress that Greg is under - it's heartbreaking to see a business fail, he put a lot of time, energy and money into the place, especially in the last 12 months or so, and when people are there piecing out your dream - I'm not condoning what was described as poor service, but everybody has a breaking point. I'm keeping Greg and all the crew at CBC in my thoughts and prayers that they get through this difficult time and land on their feet.

Jenn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.