The Reef Tank banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,492 Posts
Kudzu!! We have a mess of that down here. And as Doug described it gets really bad. Spartanburg has a volunteer outfit called Kudzu Coalition, and they go out and about and dig out the plants down to the crown. That kills it for sure. Goats also eat it. In the Great Smoky Mountains like Doug was talking about, kudzu is needed for erosion control. It grows incredibly fast! In one day you will see an amazing amount of growth. The flower buds smell like grapes.

Hack - Great news on Jen’s new doc! I hope that the new care will be a big help to her. You threw out a tempting invitation for us.

Doug, I was just thinking about your grandson the other day. I lost track how old is. 18 years old! Congratulations for him being interested in football. That would be great if he could get it a letter in football. as part of his high school education.

Doug, Rick, and Vinnie - One of the main focuses of Civitan International is helping people with developmental disabilities from birth to old age.

Jeff, great news that Max is now released from the vet’s care!
Also great news that you may end up having a new foster soon. You’re such a good advocate for fostering doxies to be the best dog they can be. Well, other animals too.

We had a pop-up shower this afternoon! Was not even on the radar for us to have it. But we’ll take it.

Thinking about animals, I think I’ll watch an episode of All Creatures Great And Small…

Nighty night everyone.

·
Administrator
49,400 Posts
Evening all, Kudzu is a Southern Thang but I am not sure of its range. I know everywhere has its "Nasties" here in PNW we have poison oak in abundance, nettles in spots and star thistle, its toxic to horses and has seeds like Caltrops, ***** seed heads with urchin like spikes that are hard on dog paws and the infamous "foxtails" wheat looking seeds that are hard and sharp, barbed things that burrow into fur and flesh. Really nasty around eyes and ears, between toes but generally if not found and removed quick take a vet to extract, 2nd only to porqupine quills :(
With this long heat wave I have been watching rafting vids, might get a chance to do a 3 day trip with my friend down the Lower Rogue. if we pull that off I may borrow coworkers Cataraft and maybe a couple people in inflatable kayaks. Her Cat is a 13.5' so I will solo but help haul camping gear for the group.
One of my firefighter guys has a beautiful GSD that had pups a while back, with a Chez Shepard, I want pics, I will share them with you all. I think Furgee is going through a growth spurt, she will be 6 months tomorrow and she is like a bottomless pit when it comes to feeding. I have been ramping her food up as she gets older but right after she scarfed a big bowl of food, she snagged 2 chicken thighs I had backed and still wanted more. Oy

21 - 23 of 23 Posts