The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Check this photo out......it is the new canopy for my new 90.....It has been cycling for about 2 weeks, but I am ready to put the reflectors on.......

Spider light reflectors.

I figured I would mount them in the middle, however I am also going to put in 2 VHO actinics. I am wondering if it is ok to put them under the same reflectors, or if I need to hang them lower than the spiderlight reflectors.

Here is my problem there is not much room in front and behind the reflectors. Would the MH get too hot for the VHO bulbs if I hang them below ?

Or should I mount the MH more toward the front and the VHO's behind ?......Just wondering what some of you have done....

Tank is 48" canopy is about 49" end to end........I am just not sure if I mount the VHO up behind the MH reflectors, if I will be defeating the purpose.....

Any input would be great.........

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
We ran into the same thing on our 90, and ended up mounting the VHOs on the flip-up front at and below the level of the reflectors. (We had both bulbs in front.)

That worked for us...

Danielle

PS. Nice design!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Danielle,

You are the main reason I went with the Spiderlight reflectors....They seem like they are much superior to other reflectors.....(however I have not finished yet so what do I know:D

That is a great Idea, I never thought of mounting to the front....I was worried about them being too low.....as in not being able to get my arm in the tank with the flip up hood.....without burning myself of course....which I am sure will happen many times.....

Thanks !!!

I will take a look at that option......

Maybe even in the back ?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
man, you would think 18" is enough for any kind of lighting you want.:D wrong.

i had the same problem with the 125. my reflectors were shorter than yours so i was able to put the VHO's up in the corners without to much light loss.

what kind of doors are on your canopy? if the whole front flips up, you could mount the VHO's to the door. they would swing out of the way. the VHO's do not get that warm. you will know when you rub against them, but it is nothing like touching the MH's.:rolleyes:

maybe you could bend the reflectors open a little more to allow more light from the VHO's to sneek by.

G~

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
If you are using 2 you can put em in front and back of MH
Flatten the reflector a bit and use a fan for heat control

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geoff........Yes it is a flip up hood........that is what Danielle suggested.....

Doug.....I am using two....and that is what I was thinking, putting one in front and back....but without them hanging, they would be up behind the MH reflectors....When you say flatten them, are you saying put the VHO's inside the actual reflectors ?......I was thinking that but was not sure if the MH would put off too much heat for the VHO's ??

I will try to draw a picture of what I am talking about......not very good at electronic pics though.......:confused:

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
heh heh..great thread, I just got my reflectors in today, and looking at the same problem with bulb placement. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts