The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I haven't completely figured out my plumbing/noise yet (please see my other thread), I am continuing to attempt to finish the rest of my setup.

I just finished putting together my new table saw/router table allowing me to move to putting together my canopy :D.

I will be attempting to duplicate the Oceanic canopy that matches my stand, but I want to be clear on canopy height.

My plan is to have MH of 250 with supplements (T5 or VHO). I just want to check people's opinion on height from top of water to canopy where lighting will be attached. 8"? 10"? Should I go 12" to allow a couple inches for reflector bulb depth resulting in 8" from top of water to bulb?

While I will post pics when I am done, this is all I've got for now regarding this topic.
Thanks for looking.

Table Saw 002.jpg

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
You for sure want the bottom of the bulb to be at least 6-8" from the surface. Depending on the bulb, reflector, socket used will determine the total height.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying I should finalize my lightings decision first? That is definitely a difficult decision. My thought is to use either a reef optix II reflector or a spider reflector for the MH SE. I don't know about the sockets and such. Out of curiousity, would it be ill advised to use a reef optix III enabling me to utilize a DE MH? Either way, I am going to shoot for about an 11-12" canopy. Hopefully it won't look too goddy. For supplements, I don't think I need to decide that yet, do I?

Although I am sure that everyone knows what the oceanic canopies look like, pics are fun, so here is what I am going to model my canopy off of.

Canopy model.jpg

I think the one in the picture is 8" high, so again, hopefully the 12" version won't be too large.

·
Hooked on H20
525 Posts
I think on a 12" canopy you will most certainly want to be able to access from the front, unless you will be taking your canopy off everytime you need to access the tank. You could build a big single hinged door, multiple doors or even a fully removable front(nice!) using velcro, magnets or a gravity hinge.

I recently modified my canopy to house halides. It was a 7" high canopy with a split hinged top(half of the top opened).
What I did was add another 6" to the bottom. I also cut out two holes for access from the front and made two doors. I'm debating on how to attach the doors yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goetzc - I am a little confused. When looking at the picture I posted, both canopies you see are the same one, so what I am planning to make will from the top. I don't think I will have a front door access, even though I do see the utility in it. I just don't know if I can make it nice enough to meet the WAF utilizing a front door. I think it could look a little awkward. My plans is to have the lower fixed section in the pictures be 8" tall while the top hinged part will be a total of 4". Do you have pictures to show what you did? I would love to see how you did it.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Remember that makes your arm 8" shorter. So reaching in and doing maintenance you will find to be such a pain. Best to have the entire front hinged to flip up, put in a door, or make it that the entire canopy can be lifted off the tank easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts