The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a couple of good fans to install on my canopy for my 60g. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at when I've been shopping online.
Budget isn't much of an issue.

Any suggestions?

·
11,345 Posts

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
I used four 4" 30 cfm fans from hamilton technology for my canopy. They came with grills, grill covers, filter foam, and power cord.

Here are some pics of how I mounted them.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Thanks Fly Guy, check out my cooling problem thread, good news to report thanks to everyones input.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Fly Guy.

I know this may sound dumb, but am I right in thinking the fans are setup to blow "in" to the canopy?

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
We just had a discussion about fans blowing in or out in another thread "cooling problems". Ultimatley, I guess it depends on if you are venting or cooling.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drdude05 said:
We just had a discussion about fans blowing in or out in another thread "cooling problems". Ultimatley, I guess it depends on if you are venting or cooling.
I just read it. I guess I'll just have to check it out. I didn't know that there were two schools of thought.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
i like those flush mount fans but they blow in, does anyone know of where one can find some like that blow out? The sides of my canopy are 1" thick and would like to flush mount them since my lights wont give me much room inside the canopy to fit fans on the ends of it

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
The ones I posted pics of above can blow either direction depending on how you mount them. They have an arrow embossed on the side that shows you the direction of air flow and you mount accordingly depending on which direction you want the air to move.

I didn't know that there were two schools of thought.
I'm not sure it's two schools of thought as it is two ways to accomplish the same thing.

·
11,345 Posts
If you have both fans blowing in, all you will be accomplishing is some evaporation, and not any true cooling, IMO, you want one blowing in, and one out and another hole or two in the top that cant be seen for the hot air to rise through........

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Boy if this isn't dejavu from the other thread. Blow in, blow out. I wish someone in here at a PhD in Aero and Thermo Dynamics to settle this. :confused:

This is how I installed my canopy fans. They are between the MH bulbs and blow down onto the water. There is one hole in the top the fans pull air through. No holes in the sides of the canopy to see bright light shining through. These are just a couple of Antec fans, they move a lot of air and are quiet and cheap. They also have 3 speeds if you want to adjust. Mine come on with the MH lights.

IMG_7459_37_1.JPG IMG_7460_38_1.JPG

·
11,345 Posts
Honestly, 2 large holes cut into the top fo your canopy where no one will see them is a great way to reduce heat. Add a little bit of in circulation in there and it helps tremendously. (chillers work really well too)I dont like the fans blowing down on the water, i have enough evaporation as there is.......

im obviously not holding a phd in aero and thermal dynamics though............ heck, i dont even capitolize my i's :freak:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The top of the canopy seems like the best way, but my 8 T5's will be suckin' up most of the space, so I don't know if it's realistic.
1 in and 1 out seems to make the most sense. It appears to be the best way to actually circulate air.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ok, some one show me a piece of computer equipment or stereo equipment that needs to be cool that has a fan blowing in and i will believe you that it is better. ;) i am going to assume that much smarter people than me have put a lot of research into figuring out how to cool small enclosed spaces, and they all have come up with pulling air out.

not trying to be annoying here, just pointing out what is in use in various industries.

blowing works great in an open system, but not in a closed system. our stands and hoods are closed systems. you all are trying to think about having a house fan blow on you in a large room when you are hot and thinking this is how it should be done. in this case you are one spot in a hot area. the total temperature of the area has not changed, just you are a bit cooler. this will not help keep a tank cool. you are trying to cool the entire space not just one entity, say a bulb. you want to vent all the hot air/humidity out of the closed space.

look around the house, see if you can find anything that cools by blowing in. let me know. :D

G~

·
Registered
395 Posts
The A/C vents cools the room by blowing air in :)
but what you are trying to do is remove the heat before it heats up the tank so a fan blowing out of the canopy would remove the heat or have a fan blowing cooler air in and one on the otherside blowing the hotter air out

1 - 20 of 68 Posts