Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heres one of the tank with the DSB and re-aquascaped:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well done Jimmer! Tank is looking good! Where are all the fish and corals!!;)

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last one:

Attachments

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where ARE the fish and corals??!!;)

Seriously cause its new sand I'm gonna let it rip through a quick cycle for a few more weeks. Theres a crud load of what looks like either Hair algae or relaly thick diatoms in there right now. Gonna do weekly water changes make doubly sure my water is in line then gonna add clean up crew (nassarius and fighting conches) cleaner shrimp, Coral beauty, 4 chromis, Then after I get a HOB refugium and establish a strong pod culture I'm gonan get a mandy for my wife.

Planing on zoo's, frogspawn, a couple differnet types of brains maybe a christmas tree coral, prolly get a candy cane and of course a SMALL xenia.

Any other suggestions? ;)

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ooohh almost forgot...I'm getting a WICKED stink outta the tank now. I'm guessing its some die off from the LR and the gunk floating on the top of the water. Guess I'm gonna incorporate Jay style spray bar in there too.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Jimmer! I would seriously reconsider getting a mandarin as they need a large tank with at least 100lbs of LR or have a refugium to cultivate bugs to feed the main tank. I had one in a 72 gallon bow front and it slowly starved to death! Their beauty cause more death to these fish and their needs are not met which should be the priority! JMO :)

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh trust me I will ensure the Mandy has a VERY large supply of pods. Not to mention I will be sure to have a fuge to build up the pod population before I even consider getting a Mandy. I also plan to get 20 lbs or so more LR for the tank.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Jimmer! Sounds like you have the bases covered in caring for these beautiful fish!;)

·
Super Moderator
27,668 Posts
Looks great, Jimmer!! I like your aquascaping.

spray bar...that's what I need too.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yeah Jimmer and cath I just built a spray bar for my reef tank and was a bear getting it into my tank because of all the LR but luckily for me I leave a space all around my LR for cleaning and retrieving things that tumble. Used a Hagen 402 PH and PVC piping and copied Jay's set-up by way of ShirleyM!:p It is very easy to assemble and for me that is good!:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Jimmer, looks good. You might want to add some fans to that canopy. I have the PC's over my 55 and they get pretty warm. I put a fan on each end of the canopy - one sucking air in and the other blowing out. It cooled down the tank tremendously.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gary D said:
Hey Jimmer, looks good. You might want to add some fans to that canopy. I have the PC's over my 55 and they get pretty warm. I put a fan on each end of the canopy - one sucking air in and the other blowing out. It cooled down the tank tremendously.
Took pics of the holes I drilled for 'em. Just didn't post 'em. Planing on getting a couple fans in the next couple weeks.

Geoff, can you believe its just from PC lighting? :D

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.:wavey: :wavey: :beer: :beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts