The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12g nano with a fluval canister filter. I would like any suggestions for what to keep in the canister. Should I use carbon, and filter media, or should i use some LR? Any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
45 Posts
not sure the LR would survive w/out a light source. You may just want to use it for water circulation and add carbon when the water gets murky. I'm using a fluval on my FW tank and it has done an excellent job in keeping it crystal clear. Good luck. JB

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 12g nano with a fluval canister filter. I would like any suggestions for what to keep in the canister. Should I use carbon, and filter media, or should i use some LR? Any suggestions would be great
Mechanical filtration media, Carbon, GFO or Al. oxide, Poly-Filters or similar, etc, but I would not keep live rock in there as it it will trap too much dirt that will end up decomposing and fouling up your water IMO.
FWIW

·
Registered
685 Posts
Avoid canister filters !!! They work for a while but then You end up in troublems as they are basicly building up all nasty stuff in them to later realease it to your tank. That's just my opinion and I'm sure there's loads of people who like to think that they do work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can use a canister filter IMO but you need to service it regularly for the reasons pointed out. And no LR in it IMO. Clean it out at least once a week and IMO you should be OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts