The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Candy Corals got an infestation of some kind of anemone-polyps that started to wipe out the heads in the center of the colony. This weekend as I watched the polyps multiply like mad, I decided surgery was the only option. I had to take the colony and unattach it from my live rock. Then take a hacksaw and saw off the unaffected stalks and I threw out the affected stalks. I ended up with 5 stalks or so. I dosed with iodine to try to start the healing process. They had to be remounted in various parts of my tank.

Ray

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ray you did the right thing. I had to do that to a frog spawn once.

Candy Corals are fast growers. Soon you'll have 5 great candy corals --- you know 1 to keep and 4 to trade. One or two polyp Candy Corals make really nice Nano corals. Sounds like Justin needs to go on a shopping spree.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Naw Dancn, more like majanos.

Charles, Yeah I am already trading one or two stalks. I took 3 stalks and put them in an old clam shell to hold the ends together like a pot to see if they can reattach to each other.
Justin and lisa done grabbed one. LOL I have 2 left. I got one I am already giving away.
Ray

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ray they won't reattach. You will need to epoxy them down to something or stick them out of the sand. I started w/ 2 polyps 10 months ago. I t has now split into 8 --- almost 9 polyps

Dancn -- Are you talking about Tube Corals. The tubes are 1/2 the diam of a pencil. Tan in color. The polyp sticking out is clear/white.

·
Registered
808 Posts
dan

are they round button lookig polyps? with a colored center? kinds like a big zooanthid?
we've got some of those, they are almost like xenia, coming from everywhere.

Brandon & Kelly

·
Registered
77 Posts
lol none yet they are still too small. but the tubes are brown, and they are kinda brown. sorry ray, i know this was about your candy corals. but since you had that manjo thing going on i thought i better ask. best to cut if at the root then to let it spread

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No worries. MY candies look like they are gonna make it but it looks sad as heck. It went from a big bouquiet to onesy twosy stalks.

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.