The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

I got a new candy cane coral from not the usual local fish store I always go, first couple weeks it seems to be doing great, it also started to get a greenish fluorescent color which seemed to be awesome, then put of nowhere it started to get thinner, got some algae on it and now it looks like is dying. I have to remark that I got a bit of an algae outbreak, but now it seems to be under control, it didn't affect my other corals but definitely is a concern. Water parameters are always spot on, no big fluctuations and never seen any of my fish picking at any of my corals. Any ideas? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Unfortunately it looks dead. :( Algae growing on coral can at best irritate it and at worse smother it. Soft corals are more laid back about it, but LPS and SPS don't do well under those conditions. How old is the tank? Newer tanks (under 6 months) tend to go through what we call "The Uglies" where there are random algae outbreaks, so it's best not to get too invested in coral in that time. Making sure it gets good flow and proper light is also important.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
From what I can see in the pic it looks like all skeleton. It's not unheard of for coral to regrow from a skeleton though, so you might want to leave it in there. Can you tell us a little more about your tank? What size? What inhabitants? Your water source? Parameters? Lighting? Flow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 40 gallon tank with almost 40lbs of live rock (I love the way they look) I have a couple clowns, one yellow tail damsel, green gobbie, a flame angel and a yellow tang, one cleaner shrimp and one peppermint shrimp. I have one aquatic life edge strip light which seems working pretty week for my other corals, and my water source is from a filtration system that I got from a friend that is almost like rodi water. I just stopped by the lfs that I got that candy cane coral, and saw that the other candy cane corals were having the same algae problem. Like I mentioned before, never really got an algae break

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a 3 stage filter system, I already got the 4th stage which now is RO/DI, like I said before when I only had fish, never got a problem, they grow beautifully. Which light do you recommend? When I bought it, the lfs said that would be enough for my tank size

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Is this the light you have? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...x4TeDrRDbbfGTpGtVTkBNFbjV3biRtNVwGGgIXnvD_BwE You want to look for something with stronger LEDs. Usually we look for something about 3w per LED. The whites on yours are also aimed more toward freshwater, which can fuel algae growth. You want mostly higher kelvin white. And you want much more blue - blue spectrum is what most coral uses. What's your budget? We could help you find something more suitable.

It could also be partially the flame angel. 40g is a little small for one of those guys (and way small for a tang, but that's another issue) which can make them more likely to pick at coral.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my local fish store told me that those all the fish I got from them, should be fine in my tank size, also, when I was looking for the light for my corals, they also advise me that the reef edition on that one specific light should do the job, I guess they were not advising me correctly, also I put them closer to the light with moderate strong flow and a couple (in my opinion) are doing better. My budget, since I'm new to all this, would be something under 250

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Always do your own research. An LFS is there to make money. Their staff is either oriented to that singular goal or they're woefully undertrained - many times both. Www.liveaquaria.com is a good place to research the needs of any fish you're interested in (or already have).

Moving them closer to the light is definitely a good idea. I had a similar light when I first started off and things in the top half of the tank did okay. It wasn't until I got a proper light that I realized that I was just keeping them alive - they weren't growing or coloring the way they should beforehand. With that budget you might want to consider what we call the "Chinese black boxes" - if you go to eBay and search "full spectrum reef LED" you'll see a bunch pop up. They're the most power you're going to get for that amount of money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on specs, and searching over eBay, I tend to go more for the strip lights that say are full spectrum for sps, can you give me your advise please? I found a couple

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/272393285840

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/291935927471

And the only reason I prefer strip lights is because I think is a pain in the butt deal with daisy chains and arms, but if I have to, I will.

I also contacted aqualife and they were very fast in responded, funny thing, they told me if my corals don't do well, buy another extra one lol

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
The first one the whites seem more geared toward freshwater - you want about 12,000K or higher. The second doesn't give the details but looks to be the same or very similar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts